cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box making a buzzing noise and rebooting.

mark1ee
Up to speed

Hey Guys

My V6 box has started to make an annoying loud buzzing noise and rebooting in the last few days, it's in a well ventilated space with nothing covering the vents or anything. Have restarted the box a couple of times but the noise just comes back. It also doesn't let us watch on demand a lot of the time, not sure if that's related or not though?

Would you say this needs to be replaced at all?

Thanks 

15 REPLIES 15

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If any TV box is restarting any more than occasionally and/or overnight, it likely has a fault and that's best reported.

OnDemand could be any number of things, but what's happening? Do you get any error codes?.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I get a 603 error code on most occasions, it works one day and not the next?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using a 4K/UHD TV by any chance, and is it a Samsung?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I am yes, does that make a difference? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's 2 scenarios where an Error 603 is usually found..

1: VM require all your HDMI & TV kit to be HDCP2.2 compliant from V6 to TV, in order to watch certain content in 2160p - UHD. If any of your HDMI lead, any converters, splitters etc, or TV port are not HDCP2.2 compliant, Error 603 is the result.

To test this, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output > Video Format, and ensure 1080 is selected. If the error disappears, then HDCP2.2 is the problem.

2: When this requirement was first introduced, Samsung TV's seemed particularly prone to getting the same error when the HDCP2.2 compliance was in-place, and the error was more random in nature. A reboot might solve it etc, but it had all the feel of a bug rather than a replicable fault.

It's gone very quiet on scenario 2 since a little while, which suggests SW updates might have seen to it.

Check your video output in any case. You shouldn't need to necessarily reboot after applying any changes, but that's not a guarantee.

Is anyone from the forum team able to assist me at all please, I spent almost an hour on the phone to tech and customer services this morning and was told I would get a call back from an engineer within 2hrs this hasn't happened and I'm not even sure if they have arranged a replacement V6 box either? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you confirm the answers to some of the points I suggested in post-6 above?

The staff team work through posts and should respond in a couple of days, but the bits I mentioned above will help them along...

Hi Mate

All cables are high speed and HDCP 2.2 compliant along with the Hue Sync Box it all goes through, I have however ordered a new cable to go from the V6 to the sync box as it's a bit old.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @mark1ee,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your V6 box.

Have you checked to see if any of the wires are damaged? Is it hot to touch?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide