Menu
Highlighted
norskyorkie
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ultra HD EPG is rubbish.

My TV developed a screen fault last month so I decided despite the lack of UHD / 4K transmissions I would buy one to be future proof.

I'm quite pleased that it does do a good job of upscaleing HD to UHD

Sadly BT Sport4K only seems interested in football and I'm someone who hates it with a vengence.

VM's Ultra HD does broadcast some interesting programmes but the EPG is dire, I've lost count of the number of programmes I have set to record only to find I have 50 minues of the previous programme, and despite setting a 30 minute buffer missed the last part of the recording.

Last night was a classic, the programme about Chile was overrun by some classical thing, the later repeat was not about Chile but one of the Great Lakes and that was out of sequence and I only found out when I went to 999 and it was half over.

If you want to justify the upcoming price increases at least get the EPG working correctly and how about a bit more UHD / 4K content.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ozsat
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultra HD EPG is rubbish.

There is plenty of non-football on BT Sports Ultimate. Of the six programmes on this weekend only one was football.

You happened to be looking at the first two weeks of the football season. Speedway is a regular but is currently on its break. Rugby features a lot but is currently out of season.

There isn't actually a lot of 4K material available yet outside of Amazon and Netflix.

@norskyorkie wrote:

My TV developed a screen fault last month so I decided despite the lack of UHD / 4K transmissions I would buy one to be future proof.

I'm quite pleased that it does do a good job of upscaleing HD to UHD

Sadly BT Sport4K only seems interested in football and I'm someone who hates it with a vengence.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
EvanD
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Both AFL and MLB have some games in 4K, yet BT choose not to air them despite being the rights holders for those sports.

Would have been handy to utilise those 4K broadcasts over the soccer off-season.

MLB in HD on BT is barely watchable (I suspect it's 720p upscaled to 1080i)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@EvanD wrote:

MLB in HD on BT is barely watchable (I suspect it's 720p upscaled to 1080i)

If it's 720p then it might well be 720p60 from ESPN which BT Sport upscales to 1080i which in turn gets upscaled to 2160p50 by either the V6 or the 4K TV. Ideally both BT and VM should pass through 720p for the TV to do a single upscaling.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
VMViewer
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Considering that Virgin TV Ultra HD is supposed to be Virgin Media's premium service for only top tier customers (Full House / Maxit) they don't treat it as well as they should.

The Rook is the only programme available in Catch Up.

There is no website for it or online TV listings available.

The duel EPG positioning on both 205 and 999 is odd.

0 Kudos
ps1983
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why would they bother going to the expense of using their service to broadcast a minor sport in the UK in UHD? Considering the market is still in its infancy, there are still major sports not broadcasting at this standard. You could say that Sky could offer NBA games (which are also available in UHD in the US) but they choose not to because it wouldn't be worth it for the return on viewers/advertising.

0 Kudos