cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv box not working with Samsung tv

Marge010
Tuning in
  • I had virgin media installed 2 weeks ago and the tv box has been working intermittently ever since. Sometimes when I switch the virgin TV box on it takes about 20 seconds to boot up and there is no picture and the sound is intermittent. Other times the box works fine. This happens everyday and is random but mainly happens after I have left the box switched off for several hours and can take hours before it will work again. Sometimes unplugging the cables and plugging them back in again resolves the issue but I have to do this everyday which is not convenient! 

I have changed the ethernet cable, tried different ethernet port, had the tv box changed. Changed the picture settings on the virgin box from 4k to 1080p but still the problem persists. I've contacted virgin about this many times and they have sent 2 engineers but can't figure out how to resolve the issue.

I've had virgin media before 2 years ago and used the same TV and never had a problem before. Personally I think it could be newer software on these TV boxes that might not be compatible with my TV. The TV is a Samsung 4k 55 inch and is about 4 years old, model UE55RU7100KXXU. 

I had a similar problem with sky q box where it would keep displaying an error message on the screen and they had to change it from a 4k box to a HD box that didn't have 4k and that worked.

Really hoping to get this issue resolved as I don't want to have to go through the hassle of trying to cancel as I'm outside the 14 day cooling off period

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Marge010 

Have you installed the latest updates for your samsung TV?

• ver 1.0 0.49 MB Jun 16. 2020 (Firmware update)
  • Upgrade File(USB type) ver 1392.0 1277.23 MB Dec 16. 2021

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55RU7100KXXU/#downloads 

Also make sure that the HDMI cable you are using is HDCP2.2 compliant.

The V6 can take a few minutes to load if it's been turned off.  Overnight it checks for any firmware updates and also downloads & updates the EPG. (It's best left in standby mode)

THE HDMI port 2 is eArc so is best used for sound devices. Normally HDMI port 1 should be used, although on some of the older Samsungs this is marked as HDMI (MHL)

The ethernet cable would only affect the connection between the V6 and the internet and be used for the V6 apps, On Demand, EPG updates (approx every 6 hours) and firmware updates (occassionally but always overnight)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I've checked for software updates on the tv and it has the latest updates installed.

I can't say what type of hdmi cable I've used but I've tried 2 different ones that were supplied from virgin and tried a spare one I had myself.

I've been leaving the virgin box in standby mode when not in use. 

I'll give customer services another call and see what I can do

Hey @Marge010,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you've been having with your, I can see that there is an issue with your box that would need a technician visit to resolve.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Hi

I've had this issue many times, technician been out twice, changed tivo box and cable. Each time they leave it works but within days it's faulty again. Various other devices work just fine with the TV and tivo works with older cheap TV, but currently Tivo box only has sound and no picture when watching and channel but displays the EPG and all the HOME button options.

Reset TV, checked for latest software, reset Tivo box, changed HDMI cable again

Getting ready to cancel TV service and stick with terrestrial arial

In the end I had to change the tv to fix the problem. I had several engineer visits and none could fix the issue. One mentioned that virgin have issues with some Hisense tv's as well. I sold my Samsung and bought an LG TV and it now works perfect. Just a shame I've had to go through all that hassle! 

Hi steve22331

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of any TV issues. I've ran some system checks and no issues are showing, no outages and everything seems to be in spec. I hope everything has settled itself down for you. From what you're saying it could be the TV that's the issue, however, have you also tried a different HDMI port on the TV? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill