Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo V6 - Seems not to have full audio support on it's optical output

Hello,

I've recently started watching  Netflix via channel 204 on my Tivo 6. I've noticed a lot of lip sync problems on some programmes and decided to explore the audio via the optical output direct on the back of the Tivo 6 box. I'm currently using the analogue audio straight from an old Panasonic Plasma TV into a high quality 2 channel stereo. I've an HDMI cable straight to the TV. 

A colleague suggested using the optical output direct from the TIVO. But for me many channels including Netflix, SkyArts lack any audio. Can anybody explain why this might be or is this just not supported as yet? A call to Virgin support left me with a disconnected call ? Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo V6 - Seems not to have full audio support on it's optical output

Hi bayard1music

we have seen instances of lowered volume when connecting optical to V6, but shouldn't be full loss of sound. Recommend if possible to connect option cable directly to the TV as this will ensure consistent audio levels across each source/input 🙂

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Some formats used by Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport are not compatible with optical - so you may be loosing something in the conversion.

It is a feature of optical in general - not a VM issue.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello ,

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps this is an issue with my conventional 2 channel amplifier (Audiolab M-DAC) i.e. it's not capable of correctly decoding the various optical/audio formats. I'll have to stick with my old analogue (only) output from the TV. As mentioned earlier the purpose of change was to see if this effected the lip sync. issues that I see on Netflix (channel 204) on some programmes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What output setting have you got for audio on the V6?

You shouldn't have any issue with it set for PCM, but could have where it's trying to output Dolby Digital as I'm not sure that M-DAC supports Dolby audio input.

It would explain why you lose audio from the sources you've mentioned as they all include Dolby Digital
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos