Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV WiFi keeps losing signal

I have recently moved to a new address, quite close to my old one, taking my LG smart TV (4k) with me and installed a new VM broadband (v6) router and TV box . The VM TV (ethernet cable between  TV box and router) is fine. I can get WiFi fine on my tablet and laptop too.

But I am having a lot of problems watching the TV on WiFi signal (which I need for Netflix and iPlayer etc.) I can pick it up some of the time but quite a lot of the time I have to relog in and thrn get a network connection error even when I have entered the password correctly.

I live in an urban area and I am very near my previous address where it  all worked fine. My flat is on top floor and router and TV box are next to each other. All4 app, which worked at old address, now scarcely works at all.  I thought that might just be the All4 app but surely iPlayer should work?  Any one got any ideas why it only works some of the time now? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV WiFi keeps losing signal

Hi rockette,

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the service issues. 

Is there a way you can plug the TV box in with a hard wired ethernet connection?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

V6 box is connected to TV box via ethernet cable. LG TV  is connected to TV box via HDmI cable. Are you suggesting a second ethernet cable from TV box to TV? Are there ports available for this on both devices?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think you are confusing the hub and the V6 box. The V6 is the TV box.

Connect your TV to the hub by ethernet cable as you have with the hub to the V6 box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When the V6 is connected by an Ethernet cable to the hub its WiFi is automatically disabled. If the WiFi is still working try another cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I thought  the router was called  v6.. you see how little I know! Now I am really confused. I followed the instructions in the VM booklet. It did not say using the ethernet cable deactivates the WiFi. 

I already have an Ethernet cable, supplied by VM, which connects  the hub  to the V6 box. Should I remove this or  are you saying I need a second  ethernet cable to connect the V6 box to the TV as well?  But then that would not be WiFi would it? And VM did not supply 2 Ethernet cables with the kit. The VM leaflet does not say the ethernet cable disabled the WiFi? If it does, how do I watch apps like Netflix and iPlayer on WiFi?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The V6 needs a network connection via either the Ethernet cable or WiFi. Once the cable is in the WiFi is not needed (and inferior).

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am not trying to run virgin TV over WiFi but to run Netflix and iPlayer. They should surely run from the hub over WiFi - provided I have configured the TV to know it has a network connection which I have. But instead of loading and running them, I get an error message saying no network connection. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You need to enter the correct SSID and WiFi password (recheck the back of the hub) in the TV settings. Better still is to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the TV. Even better is to play Netflix and iPlayer from the V6.

--
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You need to enter the correct SSID and WiFi password (recheck the back of the hub) in the TV settings. Better still is to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the TV. Even better is to play Netflix and iPlayer from the V6.

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I did enter the VM password to go with my VM Id but still the TV does not see the network, (-106) error. I cannot watch Netflix on VM because it is not part of my vm package.

LG TV acts as gateway to the internet over WiFi if you can get it working -  andp all apps worked on TV via WiFi (and hub was on floor above.) Now i cannot get tv to work over WiFi at new address. Suspect it must be  blocked by some setting in hub  ,(I have removed ethernet cable linking v6 and hub ).

0 Kudos