Menu
djn87939
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Splitter and Coaxial with self install

I have recently received my self install TV V6 kit, I had the Broadband Hub already installed, this was an add on. The kit did not come with a splitter (Broadband/TV) and additional coaxial cord for the V6 box. I went out and bought a splitter as well as a coaxial cord to be able to complete the connection. Long story, short. This works but every time I turn on the V6 there is sound and no picture and then about 40-60 minutes later the picture comes on. 

Is this something to do with my handiwork on the work around? Is there anywhere I can purchase the proper VM coaxial and splitter? Or would I have to call out an engineer and if so, how do we do this. 

PS. been on hold with VM Webchat for past two hours. Very frustrating. 

Many thanks for any guidance with this. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Splitter and Coaxial with self install

If you were to request the correct kit, VM should sent it out. Connecting non standard kit to the network can land you in hot water, as if it lets any interference onto the network it can disrupt the entire streets services. Forum staff here should be able to arrange this.

Do you see any menus on the V6 when you have these issues, or do you see nothing? If you see menus, but not the tv channels it is a content protection issue with the HDMI connection.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
djn87939
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your insight. So in essence, I should not have bought my own splitter and coaxial cable as that is probably the issue. 

I can see the menu's and have sound, but no picture. Sometimes the picture comes on after 30-40 minutes and sometimes not. If I switch between HDMI ports and back to VM, I have the same issue. 

I have managed to arrange an engineer to be with me tomorrow 01st, so hopefully they will sort this out.

Again, thank you. 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi djn87939,

Thank you for the update , glad to hear you have had a technician on 01/10/20, how have things been since ?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Biggdrew80
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar issue to this. i have had broadband for several years and made an upgrade to tv and phone last week. My quick start box came out with no splitter and also the existing cable is not coming out its in that tightly in the port that i may cause damage to the wire trying to get out. I have tried on several occasions to get someone on either web chat or the phone and its impossible.

Having read below advising not to do this myself i am stuck to where i go with this now? i have raised a complaint in the hope some finally responds but I don't really want to be paying £99 for an engineer visit when this should have been made at time of upgrading. 

Any help with this would be great.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Biggdrew80
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

looking for some help with splitter and coaxial issue i have. I was sent out the quick start pack but the person on web chat has classed me as a new customer and already had broadband. I require a splitter to be sent or ideally an engineer to set it up as the current cable is tight and proving difficult to remove even with a spanner (SKY engineer removed the previous splitter from when i had services).

i have tried calling several times and gave up waiting, text (get the same message every time asking what my query is, really frustrating now) and web chat is never available. I have lodged a complaint with no response either. I was going to buy a splitter and try get someone to remove current coaxial but i see from other comments Virgin do not recommend this? I dont  know what else to do now but its been a week now with no services and cant get anyone to speak with.

Very close to sending everything back.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No problem - glad is all sorted. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos