Menu
Rocco21
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slowness and errors in streaming apps on V6

Long term Virgin customer with an installation that means my router is on a different floor to my v6.  Until recently, it has worked well but over last month, I’m getting errors in trying to access Netflix (ui-800-2) and slowdowns in iPlayer etc.   It’s usually fine when I play through the Samsung TV app.  I’ve restarted the router and the box but the problems seem to recur within a day or two.

I have had more devices on my network in that time but, at most, it’s been 6 concurrently - and running a speed test on one of those seems to suggest that there’s no problem.  I have noticed that sometimes I need to switch the wifi signal on and off on portable devices to get them to work. My daughter checked my router log and found some odd entries like DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option, No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out, Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing, RCS Partial Service.

What do I need to try to get a more stable system back?  I’ve tried calling but the hour wait has put me off so decided this route might be easiest to rule out obvious things. I have tried the two options in Kev’s pinned post but didn’t help. It’s primarily showing up through the box so thought I’d ask here rather than the Networking forum in the first instance. Thanks for any help. 
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slowness and errors in streaming apps on V6

There's 2 things I'd want to check first..

1: The quality of your hub > V6 connection. Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, the top-right corner reports your WiFi signal strength. What's shown?

2: The speed of your V6's internet connection (via your homehub). Home > Help & Settings > Help > (top of the page) > TV Speed test

What's the outcome of these two tests?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rocco21
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting in touch with me......in answer to the two questions.......

1.   60% (good)

2. A-OK.......suitable for TV

My daughter noticed that some posters here ask for broadband monitoring - this is the link to my graph of that.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/fbc709d12276f20714f5c4fff9df23b042...

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I suspect, although this only a hunch, that your issue is the WiFi link from your router/homehub to the V6.

The BQM looks pretty good to me (well-spotted in the broadband forums, your daughter!) and while 60% is "ok" for HD streaming, if it fell much below that, you could be on dodgy ground.

Is that still 60% when you have streaming problems?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos