cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple/Green picture V6 box

jackson_04
On our wavelength

This is a recent problem but everytime I turn the TV on and watch through the V6 box the picture is purple and green. Restarting the V6 box solves the problem initially but next time TV is turned on the picture is purple and green.

I have read through this forum and tried restarting the box swapping hdmi cables but to no avail.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

jackson_04

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jackson_04
On our wavelength

Just to mention, I returned my V6 box in August and started to use a BT Youview box for TV channels.

This was working perfectly until my aerial got damaged a couple of weeks ago but just before I was about to make arrangements to get a new aerial installed, Virgin phoned  and asked me to try the V6 box again for 12 months for more or less the same cost as I was paying for Broadband and phone.

Most of the time the picture is ok but there are occasions where I still get the green and purple picture, which means I have to put the box back in to standby then turn it back in for the picture to return to normal. I will probably keep the box for the 12 months but then get an aerial installed and go back to BT YouView.

A little bit off topic, but the delivery service of the V6 box by Yodel was appalling. The so called signed for delivery on the Saturday was found dumped under a hedge in my garden on the Sunday morning. Yodel are virtually impossible to get a hold of by phone and there live web chat service was unbelievably ignorant.

Regards

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

44 REPLIES 44

jackson_04
On our wavelength

After multiple restarts of the V6 box and swapping hdmi cables but still the green and purple picture and not wanting to watch both teams play in green and purple in every match during the world cup, I decided to phone customer services. What an absolute waste of time that was. Time to say goodbye to Virgin after being a customer since Telewest days. Totally useless customer service. "Turn off box, swap hdmi cables, change settings,  sorry can't find a solution but we will escalate this fault and have it fixed in  3 or 4 hours". 12 hours and still waiting. Goodbye.

I realise replying to my own messages is probably going to put me lower down the list for help from a Forum Team member but I will be finished with Virgin anyway once my current contract runs out in August but I am still stuck with a purple and green picture, so tried customer services once again.  I asked for an engineer to visit but the only response was the usual rubbish about turning box off and on and swapping cables.  

I then rang at 8.30pm to cancel with immediate effect but the department was closed.  The message did say that "although we are now closed, we are here to help every day until 10pm"  Honestly, absolutely shambolic.

jackson_04

Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jackson_04,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear about what's happened.

I have checked your account and I can see that an engineer has now been arranged.

If there's anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Take care

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jackson_04
On our wavelength

Engineer came out today.  Changed an output setting on V6 Box to 1080i and picture was ok when he left.  However, when tv is switched on from being off, I now just have a black screen. Only a restart of the V6 box will bring the picture back, which is not possible if a programme is being recorded at that time as I would either lose or have a break in the recorded programme. 

So, a week into the World Cup and still not possible to watch any of it via the V6 box.

Only 2 months left of my contract.  Counting the days down until I can cancel without being penalised with a charge by Virgin.

jackson_04

Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jackson_04,

I am sorry to hear that the fault is still present.  I'd like to arrange for the engineer to call back round and if possible try a different box.  I will arrange an appointment via private message.  Look for the purple envelope icon above.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Hi Collette

I had a second engineer visit today.  He changed HDMI cables and swapped the V6 Box and picture was fine when he left.

However, as soon as the tv is turned back on from being off, I am back to the purple and green picture when watching through the V6 box. Three weeks on from the problem first arising I am no further forward.

Whilst changing the box the engineer did say that the age of the tv could be causing the problem. It is only 4 years old and picture is perfect when watching through the tv aerial so have no intention of replacing it.  Once my contract runs out I will just stick to freeview through the aerial.

jackson_04

@jackson_04 wrote:

Hi Collette

I had a second engineer visit today.  He changed HDMI cables and swapped the V6 Box and picture was fine when he left.

However, as soon as the tv is turned back on from being off, I am back to the purple and green picture when watching through the V6 box. Three weeks on from the problem first arising I am no further forward.

Whilst changing the box the engineer did say that the age of the tv could be causing the problem. It is only 4 years old and picture is perfect when watching through the tv aerial so have no intention of replacing it.  Once my contract runs out I will just stick to freeview through the aerial.

jackson_04

Have you tried a different HDMI socket on the TV? As you've already had a replacement V6 box, the problem is 99% certain to be your TV. Watching Freeview through an aerial does not rule out the TV being faulty because it doesn't use the HDMI circuitry. Also, unfortunately, some combinations of devices just don't "handshake" properly using HDMI.

If swapping to a different socket doesn't work, when the problem occurs you may find it quicker to simply change to a different source on your TV (e.g Freeview) and then change back to the V6. You might have to do this more than once, but it'd be quicker than waiting for the V6 to reboot.

As a last resort, you could buy a HDMI splitter to connect between the TV & the V6 box. This strips out HDCP copyright protection, which may be causing the problem.

As an ultimate last resort, you could swap back to TiVo.

Let us know how you get on.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited

R4949
Tuning in

I have the deadly green pictures as well... The deadly green pictures started a few days ago... DVDs play fine through the HDMI socket... so after a year of working perfectly the V6 box that has stopped talking to my tv... why? What has happened? Is the copy protection screwing up the signal? If so you need to remove it...

jackson_04
On our wavelength

I have had a replacement V6 box installed but problem still exists. There are ways to work around it, unplugging hdmi cable then plugging it back in, or making sure V6 box is in standby mode when I turn my TV on usually works but not always. 4 year old TV apparently to blame......I should have a newer model!!!

Anyway, cancellation of all services is halfway through the 30 notice period, after being a customer for 20 or so years.  I just need to find a replacement provider now.