Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pin ALWAYS needed for 12+

Having now subscribed to Sky Movies I get asked every time before 9pm to enter my pin to watch a 12+ movie. 

I have switched off the need for a pin. But this has no effect.

I am an adult alone at home so need no pin.

How can I switch this off? It is intensely annoying.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pin ALWAYS needed for 12+

You cannot turn it off thanks to the "Nanny state" broadcast rules we now have in this country.

It is against OFCOM rules to transmit (or re-transmit) any programme or film rated higher than 12+ out of watershed without the viewing PIN being locked on. It is a MANDATORY REQUIREMENT & Virgin would lose its licence to operate if you were able to turn it off.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. So the Virgin pin switch disable does absolutely nothing.

Time to complain to Ofcom. My second to them this week ...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ofcom made this rule. Its then that force VM to have the Pin.

Why are you complaining to them?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear on why it's there. It was introduced as part of the agreement that Sky got to broadcast higher rated films during the day

Before PIN protection was introduced, all Sky Movie channels (as was) could only show U and PG films e.g. Hallmark daytime filler. So it's price that is paid to get 'proper' films on the channels during the day.

Because of the change in viewing habits, OFCOM did run a further consultation about the daytime PIN protections and whether channels other than Sky Cinema could use it

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection

And the result was the new Broadcasting code which will allow it for other channels, although I'm not sure how many platforms are doing it yet:https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/section-one-protectin...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos