Menu
jamesm479
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent sound on HD and no catch up

Hi, 

I have recently purchased a Sony TV (model KD55XH9005BU) and since setting up, I have noticed I am having the following issues when watching Virgin TV.

- When watching HD channels, the sound is intermittent and frequently cuts out. Picture display is fine, there are only issues with audio

- When trying to watch Virgin Catch Up services, I can navigate the menus up to the point of selecting a programme, and then the screen goes completely black with no audio or visual output. From the black screen I can navigate back to the menus using the remote, there is just no output whatsoever when attempting to watch the programme.

For context, my TV is connected directly to the Virgin V6 box via the HDMI cable provided by Virgin and there are no additional inputs. 

I believe it could be something to do with HDCP however I’m not entirely sure what this is/how to get around it.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent sound on HD and no catch up

The screen going blank on certain VOD is often a symptom of HDCP issues, although CatchUp programmes from the terrestrial broadcasters tend not to use this as best I'm aware. Sky Cinema & some of the streaming apps, are the typical ones.

According to your TV manual here (page 7) all your 4 inputs support HDCP 2.3 so you're ok there.

Dropping your video output (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video output) to 1080 is a good test, there's no HDCP requirement with that enabled. Meaning if the issues clear with that selected, HDCP is your culprit. If issues persist, then you need to look somewhere else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jamesm479
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent sound on HD and no catch up

Hi, thanks for the response on this.

I have tried changing the video output settings to 1080p as previously mentioned, however this unfortunately hasn’t changed anything. Still unable to watch OD/catch up and sound is still intermittent on HD channels. 

Stumped as to what else the cause could be.

0 Kudos