Menu
DrGoo1704
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Interference on V6 Box

Whenever I record on my V6 box, the recordings suffer from a huge amount of interference. This also happens when I rewind live TV and play it back.

As well as this, Apps don't load programmes very well when playing through the V6 box, but it can't be an internet issue as the Smart Apps on my TV, not through the V6 box, manage to play the programmes find.

Anyone got any ideas what could be going on, and how to solve these? Thanks!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Interference on V6 Box

@DrGoo1704 wrote:

Whenever I record on my V6 box, the recordings suffer from a huge amount of interference. This also happens when I rewind live TV and play it back.

Assuming that live TV viewing is ok, this tends to suggest problems with your hard drive. These are only likely to get worse over time.

@DrGoo1704 wrote:

As well as this, Apps don't load programmes very well when playing through the V6 box, but it can't be an internet issue as the Smart Apps on my TV, not through the V6 box, manage to play the programmes find.

Anyone got any ideas what could be going on, and how to solve these? Thanks!

Not sure whether you're reporting a problem with the V6 locating programmes on the guide (if so, examples please?) or using streaming services? (V6 connects to your homehub which then provides the internet connection. Said internet is used for all OnDemand, streaming, and TV guide updates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DrGoo1704
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Live TV viewing is okay, but say if I'd like to rewind live TV just to quickly watch another snippet again, the playback is severely hampered by interference. The same as when watching a recording. I could watch the show, and record it at the same time. Watching the show live would be perfectly fine, but watching it again from the recording would have the interference.

Secondly, the issue isn't about locating programmes on the guide, it's about using the apps for streaming services. There's constant buffering when I watch anything on iPlayer, All4, etc. But if I switch off my V6 box and use the Smart Apps on my Samsung TV, there's no buffering at all, so I don't think it can be an internet issue.

Hope these help to clear up my questions somewhat, and thanks for your help already.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@DrGoo1704 wrote:

Live TV viewing is okay, but say if I'd like to rewind live TV just to quickly watch another snippet again, the playback is severely hampered by interference. The same as when watching a recording. I could watch the show, and record it at the same time. Watching the show live would be perfectly fine, but watching it again from the recording would have the interference.

So your live TV viewing is coming via your "TV signals" - you've proven that as ok.

Recorded & delayed TV goes via your box's hard drive. If that's affected, your hard drive has problems. It's a fault, and is unlikely to resolve itself - but could well get progressively worse over time.

@DrGoo1704 wrote:

Secondly, the issue isn't about locating programmes on the guide, it's about using the apps for streaming services. There's constant buffering when I watch anything on iPlayer, All4, etc. But if I switch off my V6 box and use the Smart Apps on my Samsung TV, there's no buffering at all, so I don't think it can be an internet issue.

Your V6 doesn't have its own internet connection, it connects to your homehub which then provides the online link. You have V6 < (Ethernet cable or WiFi) > homehub > internet.

Do you have the same problem with normal OnDemand - pick something from (non-BBC) CatchUp and try, if you're not sure.

You've not mentioned Ethernet cable, so I presume your V6 is linked to the homehub by WiFi. Check 2 things next up...

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network. The top-right corner shows your internet connection including WiFi strength.

Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > Speed test (I'm quoting this from memory, the exact menu path may be slightly different). Does this pass ok?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
DrGoo1704
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Seems that it'll be a hard drive issue for the first point then. Is there anyway that can be sorted by Virgin? Or will I just have to deal with it?

As for the second, I can plug it in via Ethernet as I've got a WiFi Booster in my room. Will give that a try. The signal strength without was 87% (excellent) however, so I'm not sure why it's doing it. As for the Speed Test, I can't find an option for this anywhere so looks like that's no longer available.

Thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It certainly sounds like a hard drive issue. You would need to contact the Faults team.

To run the speed test with your remote.

Home > Help & Settings > Help > Our Other Products > Broadband > Take a Speed Test > Press Play (DO NOT PRESS OK)

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DrGoo1704 wrote:

Seems that it'll be a hard drive issue for the first point then. Is there anyway that can be sorted by Virgin? Or will I just have to deal with it?

As with any other box-fault, you call Virgin and report it. 150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone, choose "I have a fault with my TV service" and a faults agent will arrange whatever is necessary. Chances are, this will be a box replacement sooner or later - so while this is a "minor problem", you can pick your time, to an extent. It will probably get worse over time and - eventually - may cause terminal box failure.

@DrGoo1704 wrote:

As for the second, I can plug it in via Ethernet as I've got a WiFi Booster in my room. Will give that a try. The signal strength without was 87% (excellent) however, so I'm not sure why it's doing it. As for the Speed Test, I can't find an option for this anywhere so looks like that's no longer available.

Just checked this again. Home > Help & Settings > Help > (top-line) scroll across > TV Speed test.

0 Kudos