Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would like 4 Virgin V6 Boxes in my house

I am told there is a limit of 3 V6 boxes per broadband connection I am told. I am old told that this is because of the limits of the Wifi capacity on the Virgin Hub and not the broadband speed entering the house. 

My House connects the Virgin Hub into an EtherNet switch via Cat 6 cable and each TV is fed from an EtherNet connected 802.11 Access Point wired via Cat 6 EtherNet cable. 

To me this means I am not stressing the WiFi in the Virgin Hub at all so why can I not have another V6 box making it 4 in total....pretty please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: I would like 4 Virgin V6 Boxes in my house

Theres something wrong with what you have been told.

Even if you had a vanilla set up and they all connected via the HUBS Wi-Fi it would not cause a capacity issue. If you subsequently tried to stream to EVERY box from one in 4K, it may fall over, but more likely due to hardware bottlenecks.

Its like saying "sorry sir if you have more than 3 WiFi devices in your house you cant get VM"

What COULD be the case is that every v6 requires a coax input, and the TOTAL cable length causes power levels issues. But thats a solvable problem, or else HFC would not work at all.

TBF I think the most likely explanation is you have spoken to someone with ummm.....limited experience.....in the call centre but lets find out.

Ive escalated for staff to look at, might be after the weekend before a reply though.

For the record I have  NO idea what your LANside is trying to achieve with a WIFI access point in every room, but I aint going to judge...🤔

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AP in each room means I suffer less from signal attenuation and therefore loss of speed by reducing the effect of the inverse square law for emitted WiFi signal. Blistering in each room! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is a maximum of 3 V6 boxes in a household.

Pretty sure you can now only get 4 Virgin TV boxes into total with the 4th one being TiVo if you have already got 3 V6 boxes.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Obviously Virgin can limit V6 boxes like they limit tins of beans in a supermarket but I would like to know why. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't understand where this limit of three V6s comes from as the web page just says "up to five additional set top boxes".

https://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch/multi-room.html

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you call they say you are limited to three V6 boxes.  I would just like to know the technical or business reason for this. It is very annoying. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I don't understand where this limit of three V6s comes from as the web page just says "up to five additional set top boxes".

https://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch/multi-room.html

That page is way out of date and shouldn't be online. For instance it says this:

Another telly and another Virgin TV box. Will you go for our TiVo® box or our V HD Box?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@martinknibbs wrote:

If you call they say you are limited to three V6 boxes.  I would just like to know the technical or business reason for this. It is very annoying. 

To be blunt, it's because those are the rules Virgin Media have set for the V6.

When they first launched the box they'd only allow installation of one V6 box via WiFi and the other two had to be via Ethernet or wired Powerline. Now they will support all 3 V6 boxes via WiFi, but the total number of V6 boxes allowed on account remains the same.

But based on what that older page it is probably still 5 boxes in total rather than 4 - with the extra two being the older TiVo boxes.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think that VM's got itself in a bit of a muddle here. Apart from an out-of-date web page I don't see a technical reason why there cannot be more than three V6s as any additional TiVos would require the coaxial cabling to be split in exactly the same way as additional V6s. Obviously the two boxes are different in that the TiVo has a built-in DOCSIS modem, but so what?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos