Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How to set up v6 box with no broadband please?

My Dad recently had broadband removed because he’s elderly and doesn’t know how to use it. Vm sent someone round to connect v6 but soon after he had a message saying VM services interrupted on the screen.

As he lives alone he tried to sort it himself by using cables from the old box that he hadn’t sent back. Obvs this didn’t work. Now all cables are jumbled I don’t know which cable is which and every info I’ve researched mentions an Ethernet cable for connection to WiFi which isn’t needed.

Any advice appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to set up v6 box with no broadband please?

The short answer is you can’t.

V6 boxes will not work without a Virgin Broadband connection. If you want to continue with TV only services you must swap to the old standard 500Gb TiVO box like the one below (if Virgin still provide it). This has an internal modem that does not rely on a Virgin hub.

Older TiVOOlder TiVO

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thanks for the speedy response. This has been an ongoing issue with several calls to VM for help without success. I asked  for an email to give instructions on how to set up and twice I was told that emails had been sent & I’m still waiting.

Really shoddy treatment of an elderly customer. I will be complaining.

many thanks

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

When your dad gets the TiVO it only needs the coaxial cable connection (apart from the power cable of course), no IEC connector and no connection to the hub (which he no longer has anyway). Drawbacks include the fact that apps such as BBC iPlayer are sluggish, there is no Prime Video and there's no 4K as the box is for SD and HD.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos