Menu
Oldhippo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How do I find out about upgrading from Tivo to V6?

I've got a creaking Tivo box.  I have looked on my account at what upgrades and offers are available, but all I ever get is:

Oops! Something went wrong.

Sorry, we’re unable to change your package online.

I've done some searching and see suggestions that Virgin are offering free box upgrades - anyone know if this is true and how to get one?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I find out about upgrading from Tivo to V6?

The "Oops something went wrong" is quite a common error if you've got anything "non-standard" on your account - any promotional discounts or offers, etc.

There's 2 obvious ways to get a TiVo swapped out for a V6, but first you need to have VM broadband. The V6 doesn't have an inbuilt 'net connection, it goes online via your VM homehub. No broadband, no V6.

1: If your TiVo is diagnosed faulty, you can ask the faults agent if they'll let you swap to a V6. They may say yes, they may say no - this is "if you don't ask, you don't get" theory.

2: If you've had your current package a while and am out of contract, then use this as an opportunity to review your whole bundle package. Then speak to VM, with a view to re-contracting for 18months in exchange for... a new package and a box-swap. The build your bundle site is as good a place to try out service and package combinations as anywhere.

Something else you need to be aware of, is that in the long-term, VM are moving away from the TiVo-based platform onto the new V360 system. We're a long way from this being a mass-swapout, but the "new TV experience" that's being promoted currently is this new V360-based platform. You could ask 10 people their opinions, and get 10 different answers, but at the moment the only safe description is that it's "different", - also some TiVo functionality is still missing, and will only come in time. A change from TiVo/V6 > V360 is a one-way street and can't be reversed, so if you do take the plunge (it's often invite only, but if you're renegotiating, they may offer it) then do so on an informed basis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Oldhippo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I find out about upgrading from Tivo to V6?

Thanks for the reply.  I am a VM BB customer, but re-negotiated my TV/BB/Phone package late last year.  

So, I need to contact VM to ask about the V6 upgrade then.  I don't need the 360 system as I only have one TV

Thanks

0 Kudos