cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I “Repeat Guided Setup”?

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Hi, could anyone tell me how to “repeat guided setup” on my TiVo box, please? Virgin seem to have done some kind of upgrade or reset and now I have no planned recordings and all the TV channels say “To be announced” in the TV Guide. I have a message saying I need to “repeat guided setup” to fix this, but I’ve been through all the help and settings to find this option, and can’t. Restarting the box hasn’t helped. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

18 REPLIES 18

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Thanks, yes, I’m afraid we’ve established that the box has reached the end of its life! I tried connecting again, switched Ethernet cables, restarted everything etc. The next time I switched on, it didn’t even reach the home screen, but tried to “install software”. But again, wouldn’t connect. I called Virgin, and just this minute have spoken to an engineer. They weren’t able to help remotely, so they’re sending a new box. 

FYI (in case it ever helps anybody else), when I said that “My Shows” were displayed differently, I mean that the left-hand panel had appeared, which I normally don’t display. They weren’t sorted alphabetically, as I normally have them, and old series links had reappeared from nowhere. 

So basically, I think the box just had a right old wobble and then died!!!

Thank you very much for your help and responses though, I appreciate you taking the time. Have a good weekend! 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bru1806 wrote:

They weren’t able to help remotely, so they’re sending a new box.

Make sure you get that confirmed. VM don't tend to issue box replacements by post - they are usually done by tech visit, and the tech will then fit your new box and take the old one away.

Without a tech appointment date & time being confirmed, I would be a little sceptical.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Hmm. I did say to the engineer on the phone that I expected it would require a visit, he said they normally try to fix issues remotely first. (And couldn’t, in this case). To be honest, I got the impression that this was going to be a quick fix and save somebody the bother of coming out! He said it would arrive Monday afternoon or Tuesday at the latest – if it hasn’t, I shall be straight back on the phone….

Then next stop, Sky 🙂

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bru1806, thanks for all the posts and replies on our forum and this thread.

Sorry to see you've had all these issues with your TV box but glad to see you've received some very helpful advice from japitts as well as from our technical support earlier.

We've seen you had a new box fitted now, could you please update us on how things went and if this has resolved the problems you've reported?

Let us know and we're here to help further where possible.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Bru1806
On our wavelength

I haven’t had a new box fitted unfortunately – I was told by the technician who rang me at 4:40pm on Saturday that it would arrive today. It hasn’t. I will be contacting Virgin Media support first thing in the morning.

@japitts, looks like you were right I’m afraid 😞

Bru1806
On our wavelength

OK…. I take that back, I’ve had notification a parcel is out for delivery today. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks. 

Bru1806
On our wavelength

So… update…. new V6 box arrived this afternoon and I was able to set it up OK (pairing the remote was an interesting experience, but I did it!) It’s a shame my old box went kaput, and I lost my recordings, but all in all it’s been sorted very quickly and I’m back up and running again.

Big thanks to everybody who has helped, it’s much appreciated 👍

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to hear. Out of interest, were there any instructions for the return of your faulty box?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Bru1806
On our wavelength

Hi - nothing from a technical point of view, i.e. nothing I need to do to the box itself before I return it. It just includes a return postage label,  I use the same packaging, then just drop off at the parcel shop.