cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI CEC

SILEeeles1988
Joining in

Returning Virgin Media customer after living in a property where it wasn't possible. 

Loving the V6 box, minus one feature. CEC. In this day and age, it seems like a pretty asinine thing to omit, especially when it's your main TV box.

I turn it on, I turn the TV on. I then have to use the TV remote to select the V6 source, since we switch between them all (consoles etc although saying that, the Xbox One omits it too) and the TV remembers the last source it was on. If there was a way on the TV to default to one source  regardless of what it was on when it was turned off, I would do that but there isn't.

Sounds like a silly thing to complain about really, but hopefully someone knows if it will be added or why it is missing. 

9 REPLIES 9

I wouldn't really call either of them solutions. Workarounds, maybe. 

Also doesn't answer why it's missing at all or if it will be implemented. 

Totally agree, not solutions - spend money on a 3rd party remote due to basic functionality missing? This issue is frustrating me a lot, I have several devices connected via an AV receiver, and they all support this - even cheap TV streamer stick supports it.

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

It does do it, you need to make sure the V6 is plugged into HDMI port 1. What else is plugged into the HDMI ports?

ST6
On our wavelength

Definitely not a solution. And not a great workaround tbh. They should have just put CEC in.

When you've got 4 devices going into an AV receiver which uses pass through to the TV, that works even when the receiver is in standby, the last thing you want to do is faff about turning the receiver on fully just so that you can switch to the V6 box and get it as the current source so that it displays on the TV. Which might involve full surround sound blasting out late at night, so then you have knock the volume right down, and then turn it back to standby, so you can get just the TV providing the sound.

They should just add CEC to the V6 box. It's simple. Why complicate things?

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The chances of CEC been implemented now are going to be small due to the fact that Virginmedia are going away from the Tivo software and developing their own which is currently in trail in the UK on the v360 boxes, this does support CEC. The  v360 software is currently being used by a lot of countries Virginmedia UK is just part of the Liberty Global company.

All current v6 boxes can be upgraded to v360 software and all that is sent as a replacemnt will be a new remote, once the software is released to the wider install base.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Any ideas when this release would be? Id really like CEC on my V6

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

..before you wish for an ‘upgrade’ of your V6 to TV 360 software, I suggest you browse around the forum to see what function you lose in return for HDMI-CEC.

Answer - all of the TiVo function you know and love.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SILEeeles
On our wavelength

Well of course you do. The new software replaces the TiVo functionality full stop, and "love" is a matter of opinion. Its not terrible, buts its prone to slow moments and crashes here and there, not to mention the audio and particularly surround sound is shot to hell.