Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HD recording Borked

I'm having an issue with HD recordings, and paused HD channels being pixelated and breaking up, everything else is fine SD recordings paused SD so it would appear to be an HD issue and not a drive issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HD recording Borked

Hi toshula, thanks for getting in touch. 

Sorry for the problems you've had with HD channels & recordings.

I've been able to locate your account using your forum details & it's quite clear there are issues with the TV side of things that will require some attention. I'd like to help get this sorted, so I'll send a PM shortly to confirm a few details & hope to hear back from you soon.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We have the same issue. We've 2 V6 boxes and 1 Tivo 5 - and it's only on the V6 .. we don't see the same problem on the Tivo. The V6 that's exhibited the worst of this is actually the older one - which has now packed up (won't reboot; gets stuck on 'starting up). Engineer is due tomorrow. I haven't seen/tried it on the newest (a fornight old) V6 box .. doing a test as I'm typing this.

My guess is the underlying problem is the HDD.
When a live feed is paused or on delay - or recordings, the data has to be stored somewhere .. which will be on the HDD. If the data rate to/from the HDD is not high enough, then you'll get freeze/pixelation. It doesn't happen with SD channels/recordings, but only on HD channels; that suggests to me that the HDD interface isn't up to the transfer rate needed for the HD channel data (slow SATA channels?)

Edit: Tried in on the new V6 and I've made a couple of discoveries.

1) the new remotes are not tied to the new boxes - the remote that came with the old box was tied on delivery.

2) I've yet to see the pixelation/freeze on the new box (it's only a couple of weeks old - the last engineer replaced a Tivo box for free 🙂 ), so it's early days yet.

This suggests a possibility - the old (original?) V6s were more geared to SD recordings/delay play, and therefore pre the recent removal of SD channels in favour of HD, the problem wasn't so obvious. Now that we've more HD than SD, it's become more evident. And the additional possibility is that newer boxes have a high HDD/SATA data throughput, so the problem goes away.

How old is your box? (the OP..) - our oldest box is a number of years old now - couldn't tell you how old .. especially now it's dead!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear you've experienced similar issues RichardG11, I'm glad that a tech-visit has been arranged to get this sorted though. Please keep us posted with the outcome of that if you can.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It's unlikely to be the SATA interface as we have shows that old recording are ok, we have since noticed programme break up when watching live.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Has there been any update on this, as I'm having the same problem?

I get picture & sound break up on any HD channel when I record or pause and now even ITV SD (ch 103) is doing the same when recorded..  Very annoying..

Our other box in the bedroom works perfectly...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi PeterCass1,

Sorry to hear about your HD recordings breaking up and can imagine it being frustrating for you.

Have you checked that the cables are all tight and that there is plenty of ventilation around the box?

Are you experiencing any issues whilst watching the channels live?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lisa,

The box is in the same place it's always been and only has the Superhub standing on it - just like when it was installed.  The cables are all tight and all channels are fine when watching live TV, whether SD or HD.

Kind regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming PeterCass1,

Let me take a closer look into your box and run some diagnostics. I'm going to send you a Private Message, please reply back to it so I can help.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos