Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Discount for the Corona virus

Now with the Corona virus around the world a lot of sport events are cancelled.
My package with BT Sports and Sky Sports are not worth the price at the moment. 
Will Virginmedia offer discounts for customers with sport subscription?

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Discount for the Corona virus

Hi if these are ad on's you can give 30 days notice, I have BT sport as part of my package so don't know how that will work out as I personally don't want to downgrade & lose other channels in it, I doubt virgin will make any sort of gesture. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am also interested in this, I only subscribe to the sports channels for the F1 and that isn't getting shown for the foreseeable. Come on Virgin do the right thing!!

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

They are doing the right thing. You subscribed to a sports package, they are providing you with a sports package. All channels are still broadcasting so nothing has changed.

If you have now decided that there is now nothing on those channels you want to watch, cancel them and restart the subscription when what you want to watch restarts.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

you will need to take that up with the channels not VM. VM still has to pay Sky and BT. so you do as well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I think you are wrong, you do not need to take it up with the channels, we have no contract with the channels we have a contract with virgin. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@markkdw wrote:

Sorry but I think you are wrong, you do not need to take it up with the channels, we have no contract with the channels we have a contract with virgin. 

Virgin only takes a small admin fee for the channels. Being Premiums the subs go directly to the channels concerned, & can only be varied by change of agreement. Therefore Sky/BT will have to change these before you get any recompence. You can of course give your 30 days notice if you subscribe seperately, & rejoin when the sport starts again. I would point out that Sky are not refunding their own customers either at the moment.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I agree that this is down to Sky/BT (not VM) - but from what I've read (not that you should just believe what you read these days), Sky/BT won't pay the Premier League etc for events they don't actually end up broadcasting. So various sports etc will take a financial hit. IF that happens, then SKY/BT should review what they charge customers until such time as events start being broadcast again.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

"Sorry but I think you are wrong, you do not need to take it up with the channels, we have no contract with the channels we have a contract with virgin. "

and your contract is fulfilled. You pay VM to deliver the channel with teh content the provider wants to show.
You are getting that. If Sky decide to show a month of nothing VM are still fulfilling the contract

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I contacted VM to cancel my Sports package and was told that it would reduce my bundle cost by about £25 but once the sport resumed, the change in the package contract would add about another £40. I would therefore be worse off in the long run. I appreciate that VM are just the 3rd party but perhaps Sky / VM could allow a free upgrade to add Movies or Sky Atlantic to mitigate the situation