Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connection conundrum

My Hub is upstairs next to my PC, my V6 is downstairs next to a new LG smart TV.

My TV is connected to the V6 by Wifi and HDMI 1, odd times the Wifi can drop out overnight momentarily  and the next morning I switch on the Telly and the screen shows 'No programmes'. I have now found that I can go to Home Dashboard click on Virgin Media East Midlands and the TV programmes are again available.

I was hoping that instead of WiFi, I could connect my V6 to the TV LAN socket using an Ethernet cable bypassing WiFi but now realise this is not possible because there is no internet connection to provide Catch Up, On Demand etc, although the TV progs do work.

Can anyone advise if anything can be done regarding waking up in a morning and finding the TV shows 'No Programmes' because of an earlier blip in service, this is more to help other members of the family rather than myself. TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connection conundrum

A possible solution would be to use 'powerline' adaptors to connect to your Hub upstairs with the paired unit near your V6 downstairs and connect to that via an Ethernet cable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That sounds a good answer Graham, I don't know anything about powerline adapters so I shall have to have a read up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is a good primer with some recommendations.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that John, very helpful. One thing I need to check is if the sockets upstairs are on the same circuit as downstairs. I understand that the Powerline-adapters do not work if the sockets are not on the same circuit.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thats correct - dont plug them into extension sockets either - go straight into the wall points.

Re same circuits - that is a tad misleading nomenclature. Like most houses, my upstairs and downstairs power sockets are on "seperable circuits" - i.e. I have a RCD/fuse that can isolate them individually (as well as for the 2 lighting "circuits") individually (i.e. switch power off upstairs whilst leaving on downstairs)  But as they go through the same consumer unit/fuse box - in reality and practical terms they ARE connected. Only of they go through separate consumer units are they definitely "separate" - e.g. if house extensions or conversions are wired up then the eleccy usually separates them.

So if that criteria is met for you they should be ok. They can be affected by electrical circuit "noise" but unless you test for that you wont know if its a real problem - I didnt check but it isnt a problem for me 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Plugging them into an extension lead also appears to be an urban myth. I have had no issues to date with extension leads.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My lad deffo got ~50% lower speeds when he had one in an extension tower - it still worked though.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again John, I have not had any problems in the past 5 days, I have a holiday upcoming, so I will have to put the powerline adapters on the back burner for a while, I think I should be OK as long as I buy good quality adapters and use the type that you can bypass through with another plug..
0 Kudos