cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can alexa/echo dot control v6 box

hades8840
Joining in

Just upgraded my tv to a smart tv was hoping to be able to use alexa to change channels etc via tivo v6 box but cant seem to see how seen a thread saying that the alexa app was available on v6 but i cant see it ...can control the tv via alexa but need to be able to control the v6 box to change channels etc..can anyone please guide me to how to do this 

thankyou

13 REPLIES 13

ozsat
Superstar
I think the only way is to use a Harmony remote control.
==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

brooksy79
Fibre optic

Also Alexa enabled IR blasters may work (I’ll find out next week once my eBay order arrives) from eBay and Amazon or broadlink RM Pro or broadlink mini’s look it up on YouTube.

barry2000
Tuning in

Find it shocking that Virginmedia hasn't yet developed a skill for this. It has been done independently but you need to understand a bit of programming to do this. Having looked at the software required it isn't difficult for a company like VM so can't understand why they haven't done by now. Lots of price increases but nothing to show for them. 

It would really be a job for TiVo rather than VM, I don't know whether US TiVo's have Alexa integration yet? However, I believe VM are switching to the new Horizon platform to replace the TiVo software some time later this year, which already has voice control etc. so probably not really worth the while updating the current software anyway.

...surely it's quicker and easier to pick up the remote to change channel rather than saying, " Alexa, turn the channel to BBC 1 HD" and then wait for Alexa to actually change the channel?!!!!

😐

Yes, I have Alexa and a Harmony remote, but only use Alexa for turning stuff on and off, as I can yell at it while I'm wandering around and then everything has turned on and got itself sorted before I sit down, all the other commands its just far easier to use the remote. Though I guess could be useful if you're in one place in the room and the remote is elsewhere.

I think the main advantage would be if it could be used for search operations, rather than having to use the remote to type things in.

If only they would make the TV Control App Siri enabled or do something with IFTTT.   There is an easy way to make this happen.

Tivo has an app that supposedly is Alexa enabled.  But it's not on the VM app store.

Hello

The only way I know of doing this is with The Logitech harmony hub will play with Alexa and act as a remote control for your devices. 

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

brooksy79
Fibre optic

A broadlink RM Pro will do it (https://youtu.be/6Ge9KV8Kzac)

Or a simple IR blaster will work but more fiddly