cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC channels distorted

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi

BBC1 and BBC2 channels are distorted and pixelated. Started yesterday 26/06/2021 and still happening now. All other channels are fine. Done all that I could find on the forum ie checking cables, rebooting etc but to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Harj

25 REPLIES 25

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@harjman wrote:

I did tell the VM guy that he was BS ing me as what he was saying would have meant that all channels would have been effected.

Not even that. If you have utilisation issues with your broadband, it would affect everything from the internet - this means streaming & OnDemand. Live TV isn't carried over the internet.

@harjman wrote:

I was not too happy that BBC1 channels were going to be off until end of August.

If they'd have advised you of SNR issues, then there may be something in it, but those tend to be resolved in days or weeks. End of August is highly unlikely in your case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @harjman.

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the issues you are having at the moment.

We are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved.

The estimated fixture time for this is showing as the 30th of August, I am sorry for the length of time with this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi Hayley

Thanks for getting back to me. Can I ask why its only the BBC channels which are effected and everything else is OK.

I have no issues with broadband, no issues with any other channels just BBC.

Harj

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@harjman 

Can I just check a few very specific points here please...

1: Thus far you have said BBC1-SD, BBC1-HD & BBC2-HD are the affected channels. Are there any others?

2: You can use OnDemand & streaming services from your V6 - yes? By this I mean any TV viewing that is carried over the internet - OnDemand programmes, streaming apps such as iPlayer, YouTube, All-4, My5, ITV-app, Netflix or Prime.

3: When you say you have no issues with broadband - when using a wired device, are you getting download speeds that are reasonably comparable to your contracted speeds?

4: When did your picture problems start becoming apparent, roughly?

Edited to add 5: Can you follow, on your V6... Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > (top of screen) > TV Speed test. And confirm the results on here.

We may yet need to clarify some further bits, but if you can clarify these 5 points for now - it would help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Which area of the country are you in?

I am in London and also get occasional glitches ONLY on BBC One and Two. This has been the case for weeks or longer.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mr_Pringle wrote:

I am in London and also get occasional glitches ONLY on BBC One and Two.

London is a large area, and there's no recognised national fault with these channels - either in SD or HD.

Hi @harjman,

As I can see my colleague has advised, it appears there's a known issue that we're working on which is likely to be causing the problems that you're experiencing. It's possible that this issue is more noticeable on some channels than others, which is why you may notice it more on specific channels.

However, I can see that @japitts has asked some additional questions for more information, which can certainly be helpful to help narrow down what's going on if you're willing to answer them.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi japitts

Lets hope you come back with a solution which is quicker than the virgin media estimate of end of August. Heres hoping

Answers to your questions

1. Effected channels just seem to be BBC-1, BBC-1HD and BBC-2

2. Yep I already knew I could use iplayer but that isnt the point. I just need my channels to work

3. My contracted speed is 108M. I tested this morning (7am) via  three speed checker websites and the they ranged from 110 (virgin media site :-)) to 94. So they seem to be very good.

4. Problem started when I first logged this issue on here so about 3 days

5. Speed test. Just gave a "A-OK" and "connection suitable for tv services"

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well I'll level with you here, I'm as much at the mercy of VM's estimate as you are..

From everything you've described in your posts, I don't see that your internet speed should be causing any issues with your TV service and your symptoms completely match what I'll generically call "a signal issue". I raised this thread with VM forum staff away from this board (I'm able to do this as part of the VIP programme) and have been suitably reassured that the remote diagnostics are pointing at an issue due for resolution in August.

Just for elimination purposes, and I don't think it'll do anything other than reinforce what I already suspect, can you use streaming services other than iPlayer? Find any programme from ITV, C4 or C5 (which doesn't use an app) and "watch from Catchup" just to humour me here.

I do remain surprised that only those 3 channels are affected, although I can understand how it's technically feasible. I don't think it's been checked - how bad is this picture breakup on live TV? Are you able to post a picture/video of it happening? The more severe it is, the more I'd expect other channels to be affected - although I don't know which TV package you're on as to how many other channels you have access to.

Can you also restart your box and confirm if the symptoms subside, whether for a short time or longer?

harjman
On our wavelength

Hi Japitts

Watching from catchup any channel not an issue.

TiVo box restarted and same issue.

Picstures attached. Now VM have decided that a badly breaking up picture is not a good look and replaced it with the message shown.

Not sure you can see the tags attached to the picture but the picture with message is from BBC1/BBC2 and BBC1-HD.

The picture with the man is from ITV just to show it works. 

BBC1 and BBC2BBC1 and BBC2ITVITV