Menu
CaptMainwaring
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Aspect ratio on 4:3 footage (Yesterday channel)

Great to have some corroboration. Thanks Roger

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @CaptMainwaring,

Due to the older programmes being filmed in 4:3 as widescreen was not a thing back then, this means the image will stretch to fit the screen. Our boxes also have in Help and Settings> Settings> Video output> Aspect ration you can adjust the picture there.

If the the Aspect Correction Mode is set to Panel you should get the correct aspect ratio, which in these cases is 4:3 with pillarboxing. Although there are several cases of stretched YouTube videos these are done by amateurs and I'd expect TV channels to always broadcast so that the viewer sees images in the proper aspect ratio. If any viewer wants to stretch images, which I think looks horrible, then that's their decision but I don't want a broadcaster to inflict stretched images on everyone.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
ozsat
Superstar
Message 13 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I see UKTV Drama is currently wrong too as as it is stretched for Tenko. It is the same on Sky but correct on Freeview.

As D-Sat is the source for many VM channels - it is likely the D-Sat source for UKTV is incorrect.

Gold is different as it seems to broadcast 16:9 full time - although 4:3 material is put into a 4:3 frame to look correct.

==================================
1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
0 Kudos
CaptMainwaring
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Very interesting findings! Thanks for this, Ozsat.

Does anyone know how we can request Virgin Media to bring this to the attention of the broadcaster, please?

It doesn't seem right that the freeview channels reviewed via a pay tv platform are of inferior quality to the same channels tuned into via the free terrestrial broadcast.

it would be great if Virgin Media could find a solution for this.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@ozsat wrote:

Gold is different as it seems to broadcast 16:9 full time - although 4:3 material is put into a 4:3 frame to look correct.

It will. All HD channels are widescreen by default as they are true 16:9, hence the broadcaster has to add side panels to any 4:3 material. Conversely, SD channels are actually 4:3 ratio as standard, & widescreen material is broadcast in “letterbox” format. The TV is sent a trigger that then discards the blanked areas & expands the image to the full screen.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ozsat
Superstar
Message 16 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Gold SD does this full-time 16:9 too on VM - but may just be HD downscaled. In any case a fault has been raised regarding this issue.

Yesterday has not done any 4:3 in the past day or two but is instead zooming in and cropping the top/bottom off of 4:3 stuff. Looks like Friday night is the next old-time comedy slot.

@nodrogd wrote:

@ozsat wrote:

It will. All HD channels are widescreen by default as they are true 16:9, hence the broadcaster has to add side panels to any 4:3 material. Conversely, SD channels are actually 4:3 ratio as standard, & widescreen material is broadcast in “letterbox” format. The TV is sent a trigger that then discards the blanked areas & expands the image to the full screen.

1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
ozsat
Superstar
Message 17 of 25
Flag for a moderator

For programmes from today onwards - are you still seeing the stretched issue?

1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
0 Kudos
CaptMainwaring
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi ozsat, I’ll check for the next broadcast of open all hours and report the findings.

Thanks very much 

0 Kudos
CaptMainwaring
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hello again,

Arkwright is on now and unfortunately he’s still stretched wide.

Do you know how we can get Virgin Media to investigate, please?

Thanks very much

0 Kudos
ozsat
Superstar
Message 20 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I just checked my record and confirm it did not switch to 4:3 - have re-reported.

@CaptMainwaring wrote:

Hello again,

Arkwright is on now and unfortunately he’s still stretched wide.

Do you know how we can get Virgin Media to investigate, please?

Thanks very much

1.2Gb/55Mb in Area 31
0 Kudos