cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20% signal in back room

Etsb1973
Tuning in

My extra virgin box in the back room shows 20% signal strength(poor) connected to WiFi. Is this normal? The main box is in the front room and connected to Ethernet cable so all good….

I’ve ordered pod boosters. Will this help? What does it use WiFi for on the other box as it’s cabled at the back? Just for YouTube etc?? The kids continually moan that nothing seems to work back there. I’m on ultimate oomph bundle. 

Any help and thoughts appreciated!!!!

19 REPLIES 19

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Etsb1973 

The box in the back room can be connectred by either WiFi or an ethernet cable if you have one long enough.

The pod boosters should help the signal. You could put the booster in the back room and if it also has an ethernet port you could connect your set top box via ethernet cable to have a stronger connection than on WiFi.

It might be an idea to experiment where you place the boosters as if you put them in the back room then all they are really doing is amplifying a poor signal.

If you find the sweet spot they can improve the signal in other areas too.

The internet connection on the V6 is for providing and updating the EPG, also for catch up and on demand and for sotware updates.

You might also want to check how you are connecting the WiFi to the V6 in the back room.

Have you separated the SSID's in your hub to differentiate between 2.4G and 5G? 

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

This section details how to separate the 2 bands if you haven't already done so, it might improve the WiFi signal in all areas of the house:-

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode)- then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  at the bottom then  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

Doing that means you can connect your equipment to whichever signal is strongest.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So all VM TV boxes need 2 connections..

1: Co-ax cable provides broadcast TV channels

2: Internet connection (via your homehub) for OnDemand, streaming, and various updates

Do other wireless devices in the same location have similar problems? Mobiles, tablets, laptops etc. That's a good test

You've been given some very extensive advice on some possible solutions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Etsb1973,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post!

Sorry you've had some issues with the service. I note you have been provided with some detailed advise and suggestions on your thread by our VIPs (thank you!)

Just checking in to see, how you've got on?

Let us know if you still require further assistance.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dave

Thanks for that. Can you maybe show or highlight what you mean by add 5 to the 5ghz channel config. Do you mean change the WiFi name from VM######## to add5 or put VM########add5?

Sorry if that looks or sounds stupid but don’t want to completely mess the whole thing up!!!!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Etsb1973 wrote:

Dave

Thanks for that. Can you maybe show or highlight what you mean by add 5 to the 5ghz channel config. Do you mean change the WiFi name from VM######## to add5 or put VM########add5?

So by default, the VM hubs have one single SSID (WiFi network name) which "seamlessly" (I use the word loosely) jumps between the 2 actual networks (i.e. 2.4 & 5Ghz) that share the same name.

All that newapollo is alluding to, is changing this so that both networks have different names, your devices then see them separately, connect separately, and don't "seamlessly roam". It's a good diagnostic exercise, easily removed if it makes no difference.

So "VM123455_5" is as good as anything. The exact name you use isn't the important bit - that you understand what is being done and the end result is achieved, is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi

So VM12345_5 is what I need to type in? Exactly with the underscore?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Like I mentioned in my previous post...

So "VM123455_5" is as good as anything. The exact name you use isn't the important bit - that you understand what is being done and the end result is achieved, is.

The exact characters you use are not the important thing. That you make the 2 separate networks different, and are able to differentiate between them yourself, that's the important bit. When you make this change, all devices that use WiFi in your home will lose connection and you'll need to manually reconnect them to the new networks. Therefore, having the understanding of what is being done here - and which network is which - is the crucial bit.

If you can tell between the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks after you've renamed them, then that is all that matters.

Hi

Thats worked for the on demand for the tv-so far-not holding my breath!!!

However my 2 shiny pods are in slow blink mode with white light! What needs fixed to get the light off for them?.?.?

thanks everyone

Hello Etsb1973

If the Pod's are flashing since you have changed the frequencie's as advised earlier then it will be that the Pod's need to be paired with the Hub again. You can do this following the steps here 

Rob