cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer missing UHD

dwplease
Dialled in

Saw some similar threads previously but no clear answer. How can I get iPlayer on my 360 box to display UHD content? I can view 4K & HDR on the V6’s Prime Video and Netflix apps, no problem, but iPlayer reports (in iPlayer Help > System Information menu) the screen resolution as 1080p only and does not show the UHD symbol for programmes available in that quality. Playback is then not in UHD etc. Same in normal and Beta versions of iPlayer.

360 box is set to output 4k (not Auto)

360 box is connected to a Denon AVRX2300 receiver

Denon connects to a Philips 7334 TV 

Able to watch the TV’s built-in iPlayer in UHD as a workaround 

58 REPLIES 58

@jonH68 wrote:

@dwplease wrote:

Good idea but no difference connecting 360 directly to the TV.

Denon manual states all inputs support HDCP 2.2, the iPlayer app via 360 is the only source which doesn’t support 4k. Xbox Series X, Apple TV 4K both working fine. 

I am sure you have checked but is the 4K signal on the Denon set to Enhanced.

Mine was on Standard and as soon as I changed this to Enhanced I got the UHD badge appear on iPlayer through the 360 box.

I was a bit mystified by this until I realised it wasn’t a feature in the menus on the Denon x2300 - since the above I’ve upgraded to a later x2500 model and have turned it on.

But the issue remains - I can watch HDR10, Dolby Vision on the Xbox Series X and Apple TV 4k. Can also watch iPlayer UHD via the built in Android TV version of iPlayer. On the 360 box I can watch 4K HDR via Netflix and Prime, but the 360’s iPlayer app still refuses to show the UHD/HLG HDR streams as an option. Could it be the box needs to be replaced? 

I've never had UHD and HLG from my V6's BBC iPlayer, but I do get it from from my Fire TV Stick 4K Max. Both the V6 and Stick are plugged into my Marantz NR1711 receiver. I think that the V6's iPlayer app does not get the correct data from the EDID and, believing that my TV is not 4K, doesn't offer 4K streams to it. I believe that this is the same problem with your 360's iPlayer app.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Good Morning @dwplease, thanks for your posts and I'm sorry to here that UHD content isn't available via the apps on your 360 box.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll look into having a fault work order raised on your account, which may result in an engineer visit.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi, just to confirm it’s only iPlayer that isn’t providing UHD - Netflix, Prime etc are fine.  

@David_Bn wrote:

Good Morning @dwplease, thanks for your posts and I'm sorry to here that UHD content isn't available via the apps on your 360 box.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll look into having a fault work order raised on your account, which may result in an engineer visit.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

gjbeck
On our wavelength
I cannot access BBC UHD HLG content on iplayer via 360 box either. Is there a solution for this? I have an LG C2 and Yamaha RX-V381.
I can access the UHD content if I use the BBC iplayer app on the LG C2 directly and put the 360 box on standby.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Log into the iPlayer on the 360, then go to the iPlayer  Settings  > click on "Try new features in iPlayer BETA" >  then select iPlayer Trial and on the next screen click on Restart.

Then when you next go into iPlayer you should be able to scroll down and see the highlighted UHD content.

You should also be able to play the UHD test loop when going into the iPlayer Settings 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

gjbeck
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply, but this has not worked. 

19FB701B-2D23-445A-8305-4B91DAEFEE63.jpeg

I still don’t have UHD iPlayer via 360 but I did get this helpful reply from iPlayer support. Would recommend getting in touch with them via their website. Apparently both 360 and the TV needed updates, and it seems I’m waiting on Philips to issue the latter. They have patched the lack of live channel streams recently. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @dwplease 

Thanks for updating the thread with your  findings.

It will be very useful to other forum members and staff regarding Philips TV's.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

gjbeck
On our wavelength

I have a new LG OledC2, I would have thought this would not be a problem!