cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV Remote notification for Soundbar/TV (Software Bug)

LewisEdgar
On our wavelength
I recently connected a Sony Soundbar to my LG TV and keep getting these notifications in the top right corner of my screen from my 360 box:

‘You can now use your Virgin TV remote to control this Virgin TV box, and change the volume and power off your LG TV.’ or ’You can now use your Virgin TV remote to control this Virgin TV box, and change the volume and power off your Sony TV.’

The notifications appear every few minutes and are extremely annoying!

I can change the volume control on my remote to control the LG TV, which in turn controls the soundbar as it's connected via HDMI ARC or I can directly control the Sony soundbar. Depending on which device I set for volume control, a notification saying I can control the other one keeps appearing. For example, if I set volume control to LG TV I get notifications that I can control the Sony.

There is no way to disconnect from either device in settings to prevent getting the notifications. I have tried multiple reboots and no joy!

There are other threads with similar issues, yet this software big has still not been fixed:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Soundbar-notifications-issue/m-p/4765137#M16027 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/TV-360-found-new-device-to-pair-with-your-remote-...

It's very disappointing I'm not able to use my soundbar with Virgin for this reason - if it's not fixed quickly I'll be moving to Sky!!

246773689_1572577476422155_4184242602670717748_n.jpg

41 REPLIES 41

Given the deafening silence, it would appear Virgin are no nearer fixing this very annoying, and still occuring fault.  😡😡😡

Do you get the error on all channels? 

I notice that it seems these notifications persist when I'm watching live tv, e.g. BT sports. 

All channels.

Hi @Fatal14,

I am very sorry about this. To confirm is this issue only happening when using a soundbar?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zachi have my soundbar connected with HDMI ARC. once the soundbar is disconnected by removing the HDMI slot the notification stops -at least for me. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. Is your soundbar the same make/model as the ones that have been mentioned further above in the thread? It may be a compatibility issue with something specifically so the more info you can provide the better. 

Also, can you try factory resetting the box via Settings > System > Factory Reset and let us know if that helps?

Tom

LewisEdgar
On our wavelength

Hi Tom,

If you read the full thread we have tried factory reset. I've also had two engineers out who have not been able to fix the issue.

It's a software issue with Virgin as this has happened to different people with different brands of soundbars/TVs.

Can somebody from Virgin please properly look into this instead of just continuing to suggest we repair remote or reset the virgin box? Obviously we have tried all of these things...

Yes, please, read the thread above. Multiple users report the same issue with various combinations of TV/soundbar. 

So it’s been going on for months now on my TV and still nothing been done. I had a response to my thread  from someone at  Virgin asking for make and model of TV and soundbar which I duly provided but then radio silence. It got so bad with the message popping up every 3-5 minutes that I’ve resorted to  disconnecting the soundbar for now and using the TV speakers just to stop to annoying message appearing….it’s worse than the that really annoying animated paper clip that used to pop up on the Microsoft products years ago (for those old enough to remember)!!! Incredible that it’s come to this!!! Really poor customer service from Virgin which is a real shame as everything else is pretty good. 
come on Virgin - pull your finger out and get this big resolved….

Are you also connected to the soundbar via HDMI ARC ?