cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Disappointed ……. So Far

Joyced259
Tuning in

Just changed today from TiVo to 360

My first impression. Very disappointed. Looks like a cheap version of TiVo and there’s things like changing Series Links which have disappeared. I also don’t like the UI that much. As I say it’s my first day and I’m willing for it to grow on me but I don’t think it will. Another example the menu looks like free digital TV and looks awful. It all looks like just a cut down version of the previous. Even the remote looks cheap and nasty compared to the last one. Also we’ve lost one recordable box for a crappy mini box. We tended to record on both. 

As I say I’m willing to change my mind. I’ve found Profiles. That’s okay but there’s only two of us use the box so no real use for it. 

What good changes should I be looking out for? I feel I’ve lost far more than gained in the pursuit of alleged progress. 

17 REPLIES 17

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joyced259 wrote:

Also we’ve lost one recordable box for a crappy mini box. We tended to record on both.

It's too late for you now, but is well documented on here that 360 additional boxes are minis.

Had you upgraded all your boxes to V6 first, and then subsequently (if you so wanted) converted to 360, they would have retained their HDD and all been master boxes.

The main new feature addition is voice control, but I still use a V6 so can't comment in detail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

It's too late for you now, but is well documented on here that 360 additional boxes are minis.

Yeah I was fully aware of what I was getting. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances and Virgin’s absolute and utter incompetence I had to finish one contract and take another which meant new equipment. My point with the new mini box is just one of the aspects of my overall feeling that this new system is not as good as the other one I had. If I had had the option to keep the other boxes I would have but they’re going back. 

Been doing a lot of reading about it and it’s seems that Virgin changed hands and wanted to stop using the TiVo software due to cost (licence fee) reasons. Their own version of the Tivo seems to be to be very cheap and nasty. Only an opinion of course and I may well get used to it. 

Thanks for posting this. My contract with VM is up for renewal in a couple of months and I am wondering whether to take the 360 plunge... your comments and those of others have confirmed my intention (if I do stay with VM) to keep my two V6 boxes (and not get the Horizon 360 software).

@AdamAnalogue wrote:

Thanks for posting this. My contract with VM is up for renewal in a couple of months and I am wondering whether to take the 360 plunge... your comments and those of others have confirmed my intention (if I do stay with VM) to keep my two V6 boxes (and not get the Horizon 360 software).

No worries Adam. It’s only my opinion of course and many people have a different, positive one. The UI is rubbish and the guide looks like the free view telly guide. You have to press more buttons to get to your recordings and it’s not as intuitive. Cheaper looking remote etc. Having the second recordable box would have been good and would be a good idea if you are thinking of it. I suspect Virgin’s problem was that they were reinventing the wheel making their own system and much of the previous system was probably propriety software so they couldn’t use it or make their own version. It also doesn’t seem to have got any better since it’s launch over a year ago (if not longer) so guess I’m stuck with it. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I had to finish one contract and take another which meant new equipment."

You have been mis-advised.

A change of contract/package is just that, and does not of itself force a change of TV box. You can change package and retain your existing TV hardware.

The choice to voluntarily convert from TiVo/V6 > 360 can be done at any time, and does not rely on a package change.

The two changes are different and independent of each other. Many people do them at the same time, but there is no requirement to do so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

A change of contract/package is just that, and does not of itself force a change of TV box. You can change package and retain your existing TV hardware.

The choice to voluntarily convert from TiVo/V6 > 360 can be done at any time, and does not rely on a package change.

The two changes are different and independent of each other. Many people do them at the same time, but there is no requirement to do so.

I agree - but when you're negotiating with VM to keep your business (around £100 per month in my case) they will try to upsell sparkly new features such as 360 and say you're getting them at no extra cost etc. etc. The question is whether they are worth getting.

I agree 100% I am also very disappointed with the 360 system. Can I ask is this system supposed to rival the likes of Sky Q or Glass? because this is something out of the 1980s.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's a case of each to their own. 

There have been a number of forum posts where users have switched from Sky Q and prefer the 360 interface.

Others see it as a backward step. Personally I prefer the 360 to the older TIVO and V6 boxes.

The following thread comparing the 360 with the TIVO/V6 is worth a read.

/Virgin-TV-360/360-Features-v-TIVO-Features 

There have been a number of updates since that thread and version 4.39 is currently being rolled out.

There's also a page of 360 FAQ's and helpful hints https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

There's a VM youtube video showing the 360 in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SwYSfKZmFU 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Absolutely it’s a matter of personal choice and I’m not saying everybody who likes it is wrong. I may get to like it myself, I do doubt it but they may well release updates to it. 

I never was a Sky Q customer and I resisted that change as my whole house is hard wired for TV and internet so the Sky Q was useless for me anyway. My friends had it and I didn’t like it. I had 4 2T Sky boxes and wasn’t going to give them up for crappy mini ones. 

Thanks also for you links. I’ll give them a good look when I have the proper time to give them. To be fair if this is it updated they’ve a hell of a way to go in my book. 

Again appreciate your time in answering.