cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect virgin tv box to LG tv after connecting a lg gx sound bar to tv.

spgunited
Joining in

after connecting a lg soundbar via hdmi arc to lg tv, my virgin tv box conencted to hdmi port 1 on lg tv does not show any picture or audio and tv does not recongise the box is connected.

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which TV box? TiVo, V6 or TV360?

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Virgin TV 360 box

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @spgunited 

Have you connected the LG soundbar to the correct HDMI port labelled Arc?

Have you tried rebooting both the TV and the 360? This will perform a new handshake for conected HDMI devices.

I would also try re-seating the 360 HDMI cable (both ends) in case it's worked loose. 

Are any lights showing on the 360 box? If not check the rocker switch on the back is turned on.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

I have contacted the lg soundbar to correct arc port, rebooted both and reset the cables.

I presume the new soundbar connection is preventing the box to connect to the tv

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @spgunited 

That sounds (pardon the pun) odd.

Does the 360 work if you disconnect the soundbar?

Are either the 360, or soundbar plugged  a splitter?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

After disconnecting the Soundbar, the virgin box doesn’t work still. Powers on and lights on correctly. 

Hi spgunited,

I am sure you will have checked this but is the TV source still selected for the 360. Also if you have an aerial connected is freeview working ok, if no aerial what about the apps.

If they are all working then while the soundbar is disconnected turn the TV off and try connecting the 360 to a different HDMI connector on the TV then turn the TV on and then the 360.

If it now works turn everything off connect the soundbar then turn the TV on, then the soundbar, you might need to go to Settings on the TV, Sound and select HDMI connected speaker, test that with your freeview or apps and then turn on the 360 selecting the new HDMI input.

Make sure you are using high speed HDMI cables V2.0 or V2.1.

See how you get on.

You typically have to set the TV for using HDMI ARC in order to override the default TV speakers. I don't have an LG but I think the setting is something like Sound > Sound Out > Use Wired Speaker > HDMI (ARC) Device.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

You should be able to connect an LG tv to a LG sound-bar wirelessly, that was my old setup and a good 6+ years old. Had the 360 box in HDMI 1 and it worked flawlessly.

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode