cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things the Virgin bundle upgrade team should ask...

jamesj74
On our wavelength

I received a cold call from Virgin earlier this week telling me that my existing bundle discount was about to expire and that they could get me a better price and faster internet if I took the an upgrade bundle which included TV 360.  It seemed like a good idea so I said yes.  The Virgin rep asked me several questions including: how many TVs, did they all have internet etc etc.  At no point was I asked "Is your main TV in the same room as your modem?" or even "is your modem near a TV", which in hindsight seems like a fairly crucial question to ask. 

Fast forward to today when the man from Yodel arrives with my shiny new kit from Virgin, only I find there's a slight problem...  The coaxial splitter means the TV 360 box needs to be next to the modem, but the modem is in my office where it needs to be as it's in passthrough/modem mode and my office is the only room that has two ethernet cables to allow me to connect the modem to my 3rd party router which is in my comms cupboard connected to a 16 port switch.  Not a standard domestic setup I admit, but the issue is the same: my modem is not near a TV and I don't want it to be and I have a strong dislike of wires wrapped round the outside of a house.  So I call the support team and ask if someone can come and take away the TV 360 as it's useless in my setup.  Unfortunately the person I'm speaking to cancels the whole bundle - I didn't ask for this and had I not called back to double check it would still be cancelled - all I wanted to do was give Virgin their TV box back. 

It takes approx 1 hour and 2 calls to get back close to the original offer price of £44 PCM: I end up with £45 PCM and initially a £40 one off charge (£5 of which was for delivery of a box I already had and didn't want!) which I managed to get removed in the 2nd call.

This can't be a good way to do business!!  Can it?  I'm happy so far with the ISP role that Virgin Media fulfils, but the customer service/sales team needs to do a lot better.

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's no requirement for a V6 or TV360 to be near your modem, the need is for it to have an internet connection in addition to the non-negotiable co-ax fitting.

Ethernet is always preferable to a wireless connection, but if its not practical the internet connection can be over WiFi - providing the signal is reliable enough.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jamesj74
On our wavelength

The TV 360 comes with a coaxial splitter that (according to the instructions) fits in between the modem and the feed from the Virgin wall socket, so it needs to be within reach of the coaxial cable right?  I mean you could have a longer cable I guess, but then you need to run however many meters of coax?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want to use the TV360 in a location which works with your existing co-ax connections, then use the supplied splitter. If not, you'll need a manned installation to put the cabling & connections where you want them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jamesj74
On our wavelength

If you want to use the TV360 in a location which works with your existing co-ax connections, then use the supplied splitter. If not, you'll need a manned installation to put the cabling & connections where you want them.”

Exactly, and this was not explained during the initial call.  From that call all I needed was an Ethernet connection near the TV, which I have.  I’m and existing Sky TV customer.  I don’t really need the Virgin TV stuff, certainly not enough to warrant drilling holes in walls.  I just think Virgin need to ask the question rather than trying to keep it a secret…