cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surely You Must Be Able To Reboot The 360 Box Using The Remote? Powered Off Now In Reboot Loop!

Poddys
Dialled in

Tonight I tried to pause live tv (BBC 1 channel 101) using the remote and I get a popup with CS2000.

Happens on all other channels so not channel specific and I can see from the community forums here that rebooting the 360 box (a converted V6 box) is the recommended solution.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to reboot using the options on the screen, which is surely a shortcoming as the power switch on the bak of the box isn't that easy to get to and a hard power off isn't usually recommended with any computer equipment.

So powered off using the switch on the back, waited a minute then powered back on, but 5 minutes later the red light is still on the front and the 360 remote doesn't seem to do anything, including turning the tv on.

Used the tv remote to power the tv on and it's showing the "Welcome" screen and this is after 10 minutes.

Now it looks like it's rebooting itself every 2-3 minutes, the screen goes black and then I get the "Welcome" screen back again. Hoping this sorts itself out soon!

Update... after 15 minutes this odd symbol came on the screen, looks like it's downloading something?

IMG_20230222_190042.jpg

After a good 5 minutes it looked like it rebooted again and then the "Welcome" screen appeared like below.

IMG_20230222_190234.jpg

It's since rebooted a couple of times so looks like it's in a loop again. Now 25 minutes in...

Now 35 minutes in and still rebooting, although after the 2nd power off the Welcome screen now shows correctly.

Doesn't look like it's going to fix itself unfortunately. Any idea?

15 REPLIES 15

Thanks Dave.

Will leave swapping the boxes until tomorrow evening as I have to be up early in the morning and don't want to start something that's going to take me hours.

I have noticed it trying to download after a reboot maybe 3 or more times and another device then shows up in the Hub, EOSSTBRL. Not sure if that means anything as far as device type etc but it seems to coincide with the download symbol on the tv screen.

This time it rebooted after (and that's when I get the rainbow lines, after an attempted download). It then went off, rebooted but still in a loop.

I have an engineer booked for Friday morning, booked it through the website and it did a fault check, but I have no option to add any info to the appointment. Hoping the engineer calls first, or has a spare box with him! Fingers crossed.

The help from both of you has bene much appreciated. The Community here always comes through 👍

Now to wait...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Tony,

That's a quick turnaround for a tech visit so well  done.  The tech will have a spare box to swap over if need be. 

Do you have two main boxes with hard drives. or is one a mini box (smaller, around half the height as it doesn't have a hard drive?

Recently they've been replacing the second box with a mini box if the customer had two previously updated main (V6) boxes, so you might loose some storage.

If you do have two of the main boxes then try buttering the tech up with coffee/biscuits 😎 to see if they have a spare main box

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Great advice, thanks Dave.

It's horribly complicated, but when we upgraded about 3 years ago (predecessor of the Ultimate Oomph package - I forget what it was called) we were supposed to have been send a 2nd V6 box but it never arrived. Wasn't a problem as we only needed the one and several attempts to report it not arrived never got resolved. Upgrading to Ultimate Oomph was a royal PITA and finally found out from an engineer it was because we only had the one box and there were 2 on the account. Finally after several weeks and about 3 engineer visits, one managed to bring a 2nd box and get the upgrade sorted.

So yes we have 2 V6 boxes, both software upgraded to 360. I guess if we end up with a mini box, oh well, but nice if we could get a new(er) main box.

Will see what the engineer says, and yes we are always nice to them, it's rarely their fault in our experience when there is a problem.

Fingers crossed for getting everything working again.

All sorted! As soon as I described the symptoms the engineer knew the box was "fooked" so put a new one in and sorted it out, nice and smooth.

Lost all of the recordings of course, but weirdly one I had created on the 2nd "slave" box was showing up and it works on the slave box. I thought all the recording was done on the main box with 360.

Only thing now is to get the remote to adjust the volume on my sound bar. Had sorted that before, hoping to find the details of how to do it fairly easily.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Ian,

Thanks for the upodate, pleased tos ee that the tech has swapped your box for a new one.

Since you origianly had two V6 boxes you will be able to record on both boxes, as they will both have hard drives. It's only the mini boxes (half the size of the main box) that don't have hard drives.

You can fine tune the recordings between boxes by clicking on Record, then on the next screen click Advanced Options, then on the next screen click on Choose TV Box, then select the box, then click on Record. That program will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is the other one.

When going to Recordings > Recorded > Recorded you can select each box individually and the interface now lists the percentage used on each box (applies to upgraded V6 boxes as they all have hard drives)

You can't set the same series links to record on both boxes, however you can fine tune series links to record on one box, irrespective of it being your default recording box.

When setting up a new series link go to Advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward. If though you've already got a series link set up for a particular program  and want to change it so it will record on the other box then you need to cancel that series link, and then set it up to record again, using the advanced options when you press record.

It's also good to see that you maanaged to set up your majority Snowdon soundbar again and were able to leave tips for other users  <<< here >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Very interesting, thanks Dave.

I thought even though the 2nd box was a V6 with HD it was supposed to act as a slave, guess I was wrong. Nice to have 1 recording even though the rest have gone though and handy also because the 2nd box is in my home office and that means I can record things like documentaries to watch in there without having to get them transferred from the main box at the other end of the house.

As a colleague would say "every day is a school day".