cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky sports channel 502 sd

pots1968
Tuning in

Hi

has anyone noticed a major drop off in quality of the sky sports premier league channel in SD ( channel 502) - all other sky sports channels in SD have a watchable quality but 502 is badly pixelated.

this seems to have become an issue since I renegotiated my deal…..

the channel was really good before but now is almost unwatchable.

poor service really.

23 REPLIES 23

It's completely outrageous really.  Grounds for cancellation at any point in a contract, I'd say.  Friend has Sky Stream and the picture is pin point immaculate, even the SD looks as good as Virgin's HD Sky channels.  So disappointing Virgin customers don't get a comparable service.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pots1968 wrote:

Those channels are fine - just 502 pixelated.

I'm intentionally specifically replying to @pots1968 who started this thread.

I took it as read you were viewing in HD, but given you have a TV360, do you have the Sky HD add-on? I quoted (some of) the channels that share a broadcast mux with Sky PL-HD, but if you're watching in SD - then I've given you the wrong list.

For PL-SD, compare with 151, 152, 153, 155 & 226

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

NickTipps
On our wavelength

I’m just watching Soccer AM back from yesterday & it’s virtually unwatchable, even worse than watching a 14” portable tv from the late 70’s from memory!!

I have searched previously about whether HD was available but couldn’t find anything so could anyone in the know tell me how much extra Virgin require for this & is the only way to get it by calling Virgin to get it added?

I only switched over from Sky a few months back & I’ve been regretting the decision if I’m honest but I’m beyond my cooling off period so stuck with this rubbish for the next 18 months or so.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NickTipps wrote:

I have searched previously about whether HD was available but couldn’t find anything so could anyone in the know tell me how much extra Virgin require for this

Sky Sports HD is an extra £7/month above a Sky Sports subscription, which is SD-only as standard.

As with any package change, you may be able to add it via your TV box menus, but calling is otherwise the best way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

NickTipps
On our wavelength

I eventually found where to upgrade, you are right, it is £7p/m but unfortunately I have to call to implement the upgrade!

Why nothing is ever as simple as it could be I don’t know. Feels like we’re still not up with the actual decade let alone the year.

And I just know that what should be a simple two minute call is likely to take a lot longer than that, even without the inevitable time wasted on hold.

Hello NickTipps

Were you able to upgrade the Sky Sports since your post? We aren't able to make changes via the forums but If you can give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4 this will get you through to the contracts team who will be able to look into this further for you.

Rob

Hi Rob

whilst I’m happy that people can upgrade if they choose to - this wasn’t the original reason for this thread.

ideally virgin need to broadcast channel 502 SD at the same quality as the other sky SD channels - this way people wouldn’t have to upgrade and shouldn’t have to, to get a watchable picture - and one I’m already paying extra to get.

could a response to the original thread question be given.

many thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM simply broadcast the channel content they receive - there is no incentive on them to degrade the quality of the feed.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us pots1968, also for the questions asked.

We're sorry to hear that you believe the Sky SD channel quality is intentionally being degraded for a purpose, we'd never follow such a practice.

We're eager to assist with any picture quality issues you may have, can you please advise if the Sky SD channels have lower resolution or other picture issues compared to other SD channels on our TV box?

Are you having this on one, or some of these channels?

Also, have you checked our service status page here to see if there are any area problems with TV broadcasting at all that may be affecting you?

Please, let us know how you get on and we're here to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri

thankyou for replying- I’d like to point out I never said you were reducing the picture quality intentionally I just said it had changed since I took out a new deal.

my issue is that there is a clear difference between the poor picture quality of sky channel 502 SD premier league and other sky SD channels.

when the football is on 502 and 501 main event - I have to watch on 501 as the picture is so much clearer.

I pay extra for Sky channels and especially for sky premier league - and would expect all channels to be of the same picture quality.

I know there is an option to upgrade to HD but don’t see why I should when the SD quality is fine for all sky channels other than 502.

many thanks