Menu
Mfirth3
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SKY Sport / BT Sport HD Quality Problem

Joined Virgin on Oomph Bundle 6 days ago. Jumped over from Sky Q due to bundle offer. 
The quality of my sports channels are not HD and SD at best. A real noticeable difference since changing from SKY Q. 
I have a 4K TV Philips (50PUS6753/12) and selected 4K on the toggle for output options within Virgin 360. other HD channels such as ITV HD, the picture quality is very good. 

Anyone have any tips or tricks to improve the quality? 
I have tried a few different HDMI ( all high speed) and this did not make a difference. 

Virgin have reported my signal strength is good. 

thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SKY Sport / BT Sport HD Quality Problem

You've mentioned "sports channels" - are there any specific ones you're having issues with?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Mfirth3
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. 

I mainly watch football so have noticed this mainly on;

sky sports football HD 
sky sports main event HD 

howefer also watched some rugby highlights on BT Sport 3 HD last night and some F1 at the weekend on sky sports F2 HD and have found all comparably poor. 

thanks 

0 Kudos
TouchingCloth
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have complained about a similar issue last week. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/Difference-in-HD-quality/td-p/4664177 

I was desperately dissapointed with the sky hd quality compared BBC/ITV

My bt is unacceptable,  but the ultimate is indistinguishable from the std hd offering.

The interesting answer from the team member who replied. 

0 Kudos
Mfirth3
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Interesting that others are having similar issues. 
The contrast from watching sky sports HD on SKY Q a week ago to Virgin this week is huge! 
I have read that some had a similar issue and their signal was able to be boosted. 
I will push for this over the weekend and if not then cancel in my cooling period. 

thanks 

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mfirth3

Sorry to hear of the TV service and picture quality issues experienced, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forum.

From looking at your account we can see you have called and spoken to the team in regards to this and intermittent connection issues, we can see that some Pod's were ordered for you. Have these been received and helped with the connection problems?

What did the team advise in regards to the SD channel picture quality? 

Rob

0 Kudos
Mfirth3
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Rob, 
Yes I have received some pods to boost the WiFi signal as we are struggling with black spots upstairs. This is now resolved. 

I was advised re the SD standard of sport content to ensure I was selecting a HD channel. However all sport channels are in HD. A second virgin technician visited our property but suggested nothing extra can be done and questioned whether it was a TV issue. 
My understanding is that the Virgin 360 box is HDR ready however my TV does not detect a HDR source when watching HD content. Is this correct? 

From reading other forum posts it would appear on the older Vivo system you could allow the TV to do the upscaling on the picture quality, however on the new virgin V6 box I can only select 4K, 1080p, 1080i etc. 

Do you have any tips to improve the quality further? 

thanks 

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is no HDR content on any HD asset on any platform at the moment - it is very rare to get HD with HDR. Usually HDR is only carried with some UHD/4K assets.

On the 360 - you'll only see HDR at the moment using Netflix and Amazon Prime. Occasionally Eurosport 4K is offered in HDR but only for a few weeks each year.

There is currently no automatically changing quality setting on the 360 - like there is on the V6.

@Mfirth3 wrote:

Thank you Rob, 
Yes I have received some pods to boost the WiFi signal as we are struggling with black spots upstairs. This is now resolved. 

I was advised re the SD standard of sport content to ensure I was selecting a HD channel. However all sport channels are in HD. A second virgin technician visited our property but suggested nothing extra can be done and questioned whether it was a TV issue. 
My understanding is that the Virgin 360 box is HDR ready however my TV does not detect a HDR source when watching HD content. Is this correct? 

From reading other forum posts it would appear on the older Vivo system you could allow the TV to do the upscaling on the picture quality, however on the new virgin V6 box I can only select 4K, 1080p, 1080i etc. 

Do you have any tips to improve the quality further? 

thanks 

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
roy247
Well-informed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Mfirth3 wrote:

If you set the 360 to 1080p then the TV will do the upscaling.

0 Kudos
IoanaNeacsu
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If the 360 is set at 1080p then all channels will be in 1080p, including BT Sport Ultimate and Virgin Ultra HD. So, every time when you watch ultra HD content on BT Sport Ultimate and Virgin Ultra HD then you have to manually set the 360 to 4k.

0 Kudos