cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings on mini not working

iandowney26
Tuning in

I can't load recordings on my second Virgin box. It has been working perfectly, up until recently when I completely unplugged the main box to tidy up the cables. Ever since, I can't access recordings on the box in the other room. 

Things I have already tried:

- Unplugging and restarting both boxes
- Checked that the main box is on 'active start mode'
- Run diagnostics on both boxes, and they both show green on everything
- Yelled at the TV for not working

Every time I try to access a recording on the 2nd box, I get a message saying 'Oops, we couldn't connect to virgin tv 1' - so I don't even get given an error code to reference. 

Can someone please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

The can't connect message is usually a network connection between the 2 boxes. Can you watch on-demand TV on the mini box which is another good test of the mini box's connection to the hub.

If the main box is On will the mini box still not connect, if both boxes are connected by wi-fi make sure they are both on the same 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands.

If you still can't connect the mini to the main box when it's On (not in standby), some people have needed the main box replacing.

I would try a factory reset before calling Virgin because if you do need the box replacing you will lose your recordings.

It's only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options,

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choosing Keep Recordings, means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up, but you will
have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITVX again, also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will
go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

roy247
Community elder

The can't connect message is usually a network connection between the 2 boxes. Can you watch on-demand TV on the mini box which is another good test of the mini box's connection to the hub.

If the main box is On will the mini box still not connect, if both boxes are connected by wi-fi make sure they are both on the same 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands.

If you still can't connect the mini to the main box when it's On (not in standby), some people have needed the main box replacing.

I would try a factory reset before calling Virgin because if you do need the box replacing you will lose your recordings.

It's only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options,

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choosing Keep Recordings, means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up, but you will
have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITVX again, also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will
go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

Thanks for the reply. So it is just the recordings that won't load. The on dermand seems to work fine. It is strange as it has ben working perfectly for about a year when we first got Virgin installed. I guess the next step is the reset. Do I do that on the main box? Or the mini? and where do I access that?

I would try the main box first, if that doesn't work and you also try the mini box there is no option to keep your recording's or format the hard drive because the mini box doesn't have a hard drive.

To factory reset go to Settings > System > Factory Reset

So I have tired the factory reset on both the main first, then the mini, but I am still having no luck accessing the recordings on the mini. Still getting the same 'oops, we couldn't connect to virgin tv 1' message. Very frustrating as this was only installed within the last year, so the boxes are brand new, and have been working perfectly.

It feels like there must be some setting I am missing?!

OK, now I have figured it out, and it was a user error! I was connecting to the wifi on the box using the mesh wifi I have in my home, however the main box is connected to the virgin wifi via ethernet, therefore the wifi I needed to be using on the mini is the original VM wifi. Now it is all working. Thanks so much for your help, and sorry for being a wally!!