cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: does the 360 mini need coax connection? or just wifi?

inbetweendays
On our wavelength

Hi there

I know this thread hasn't been posted on for a while but thought rather than start a new one.

After years with Sky I have cancelled today and am looking at Virgin as an alternative.

I was as it seems were others surprised that the mini box wasn't wireless having been used to Sky Q for a number of years and its mini box being wireless.

I don't particularly want a load of wires through the house so I wondered if using a wifi extender in the room that I want the mini box in and hard wiring it into that would work?

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@inbetweendays wrote:

I know this thread hasn't been posted on for a while but thought rather than start a new one.

No need, I've started a new one for you - the one you added to was rather old.

@inbetweendays wrote:

I don't particularly want a load of wires through the house so I wondered if using a wifi extender in the room that I want the mini box in and hard wiring it into that would work?

No, it won't work. All VM TV boxes need 2 connections:

1: Your physical co-ax cable is how live TV channels are delivered

2: The internet connection is only for OnDemand, streaming & various updates.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that.

I presume then that the connection cable that goes from the wall and splits for TV/broadband will have an extra bit/cable for the mini box?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes - all VM TV boxes & broadband routers need a co-ax feed.

If you don't have a co-ax cable connection where you want to use any proposed equipment, then a manned engineer installation will be required and see to it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are Pros & Cons with both Sky mini boxes & Virgins.

Virgins minis are UHD capable & will receive UHD broadcast channels & OD content, but require a direct coax connection.

Sky mini boxes are the opposite.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'll need an engineer visit anyways as whilst we have a brown box on the outside of the house there is no Virgin wall socket on the inside so will need one of them installed.

@japitts wrote:

@inbetweendays wrote:

No need, I've started a new one for you - the one you added to was rather old.

@inbetweendays wrote:

No, it won't work. All VM TV boxes need 2 connections:

1: Your physical co-ax cable is how live TV channels are delivered

2: The internet connection is only for OnDemand, streaming & various updates.

I will add that it is possible to record a live program on the main box then start watching it with a few seconds delay on the minibox over wifi. This is a workaround some community members have used to avoid the extra coax to the mini box.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jonathanpye 

Are you suggesting a TV 360 mini can be installed without a co-ax connection?

Perhaps you can supply a detailed installation plan and a subsequent operation plan.

I think that he's saying that once the mini has been activated it will, as all secondary boxes do, stream recordings via the LAN. The lack of a coaxial cable is not a problem if he's not using the mini to watch live broadcasts.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The lack of a coaxial cable is not a problem if he's not using the mini to watch live broadcasts.

Until there's either

1: A channel change/renumbering, or

2: The box is restarted for whatever reason.