cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TV 360 with Hub in Bridge Mode

Rainman149
Tuning in

Did you get this working?

I've upgraded my V6 boxes to TV360 and am having mega issues.

Currently I have my Hub3 in modem mode and have done for approx 5 years. Internet and WiFi works fine with my third party equipment.  As did the V6 boxes  

Now I'm on TV360 I cannot play any recordings getting loads of errors such as CS2200, CS3300, CS2217, CS3400. Now eventually got an engineer out to the house today, which took forever to get sorted.  He states that you cannot use the hub in modem mode with TV360. Switched back to router mode and low and behold I can watch recordings.  

So I sat and thought about this, asking myself why this could have happened. It came to be that I was using Google DNS servers rather than Virgins . I quickly reconfigured my dhcp server and switched back to modern mode.  Initially the boxes allowed playback no problem  however roughly an hour later is not working again.  

So back to square one. Any thoughts and advise? I want to use my own equipment as I have a VPN to my sons house that we use for playing some games,  plus the hub is pretty useless in terms of being able to configure it. Can't even change the IP range. 

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've moved your post to a new thread 😉

There's a few things in here, so I'll answer as bullet points

1: There's no reason why the 360 shouldn't work with modem mode & your own router. However, VM won't support it and their diagnostics will only go as far as putting your modem into router mode. Which will also prove the issue to your router.

2: I use a V6 with my own router, and had quite a few issues when I first did. The issues took some hunting down, and were all down to blocked ports on the router.

Are you trying to watch these recordings on the same box they were recorded, or using multi-room streaming?

If the issue also with MRS, can you use OnDemand with the same box? As a test of the 360 <---> hub ability to stream.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi 

Initially I had recording locally on the TV360 in the living room, which some would play but stop approx 10 mins into watching. Then on rebooting the box some of the recording disappeared completely. Since then I havent been able to play anything locally on the box in the living room. So I moved to the second box, we hadnt recorded anything on that at all since the upgrade. Trying to watch anything from the second box on the main living room box doesnt work, but you do appear to be able to watch things locally on the second box. 

I do appear to be able to use catchup TV services from the suspect box in the living room

Both boxes pass diagnostic with flying colours, so I cannot see what the issue is other than a faulty box. 

I have my hub in modem mode and use an Asus router and my 360s work fine.  However, they throw variuos CS errors if I don't have them set to use VM's DNS (I have Cleanbrowsing as my main DNS provider and use the DNS filtering on Asus Merlin firmware to make sure the 360's connect to VM's servers).

If you're using a third party DNS (e.g. Google, Cloudflare, OpenDNS, etc ) then try using VM's DNS servers and see if that fixes your issues.

Edit: Just reread your post and see you've tried changing DNS back to VM's.  My set up has been absolutely stable with the boxes set to use VM DNS!

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Rainman149

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your services, 

I have just taken a quick look over your account & can see that you have managed to get another engineer booked. 

Let us know how you get on & if we are able to assist you further. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks for replying Zak_M yeah managed to get another engineer booked as the issue reoccurred. However this time I was getting CS6000 which apparently is a hard drive failure. So an engineer has been arranged to swap the box out. 

I did ask if I could go back to the old V6 software as that certainly seems to be more stable and far less buggy. Fingers crossed thats what I'll get, but I;m not hold my breath.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rainman149 wrote:

I did ask if I could go back to the old V6 software as that certainly seems to be more stable and far less buggy. Fingers crossed thats what I'll get, but I;m not hold my breath.

You'll get a 360. Converting to 360 is a one-way process

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks ask for the responses.  Just a quick update. 

Had a second engineer out who swapped the main box in the living room. They managed to get it all working just fine, with the hub in router mode.  

As soon as they went I switched the hub into modem mode. Using virginmedia DNS servers it has now been working for approx 4-5 days.  

So now I'm a happy camper once again.  We'll at least I can watch TV and any recordings.  Still have quite a few things I don't like about this TV360 software.  It almost feels like the software hasn't been fully tested in a live environment.