cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 360 upgrade yet + V6 and 2 mini boxes only!

Geefiasco
On our wavelength

Hi,

My current setup is 3x V6 boxes and 1 old TiVo box. 

I’ve just rung up Virgin as my contract has ended, so I was enquiring about the Volt package and to be upgraded to TV360. 

They told me I can’t just “upgrade” to 360 and couldn’t give me a potential date that my V6 boxes would update - the software has been out for 2+ years I believe, yet loyal customers are are stuck with the old stuff!

Also, they told me that I can’t have 3x V6 boxes with 360.. it’s one V6 + 2 mini boxes ONLY, so one of my rooms would have to be without a subscription. This was confirmed by 2 people… what is going on?! It’s 2022. 

9 REPLIES 9

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

@Geefiasco wrote:

They told me I can’t just “upgrade” to 360 and couldn’t give me a potential date that my V6 boxes would update - the software has been out for 2+ years I believe, yet loyal customers are are stuck with the old stuff!

Also, they told me that I can’t have 3x V6 boxes with 360.. it’s one V6 + 2 mini boxes ONLY, so one of my rooms would have to be without a subscription. This was confirmed by 2 people… what is going on?! It’s 2022. 

Phew, not sure where to start with this.

• Yes, you can just "upgrade" to Virgin TV 360.  It is £25 to do so, or free if you recontract
  • They are incorrect to say that you cant have 3 "V6" boxes with 360.  A new customer would get one 360 box with hard drive and two mini boxes but you would be able to upgrade all three of your boxes to 360 boxes and keep the storage.  We just send an engineer who will upgrade all three to 360. 
  • Here comes the bad news, you would have to ditch the TiVo.  360 rules are 3 boxes total, whether they are hard drive or mini boxes. 

Geefiasco
On our wavelength

Thanks for your help explanation.

The staff on the phones are so misinformed! It’s unbelievable! Always giving me the wrong information!

I found the Chat option more helpful than CS, to be honest!

Tavis75
Super solver

I would recommend reading up on the differences between V6 and 360 before changing, it's not an upgrade, it's a change of software and you lose a lot of decent features for IMO very little benefit.

The short list of losses (I may have forgotten some):

No Series Link+

Series Links cannot be setup for programs that are not in the TV Guide (so showing in the next week or two)

No Series Link Manager

Less control over Series Links (i.e. single-channel or multi-channel)

No Wishlists (where you can set the box to automatically record shows featuring certain actors or on certain topics etc.)

No skip-back when fast forwarding

No quick play

Radio stations are no longer channels and therefore cannot be recorded 

No Undelete option

Generally more clicks to get to recordings

No separation of shows recorded on different boxes

No Suggestions

No continuous buffering of all 6 tuners 

The "benefits" of 360:

Voice control

Pretty pictures

Geefiasco
On our wavelength

It’s really shocking that they took away so many features. I won’t even bother ‘upgrading’. 

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. 

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
V6 doesn't have Disney+, 360 does.

You forgot about the ability to set profiles on the 360, which is a major practical advantage when there’s more than one person making use of the box. I have used it for my watchlists and found it invaluable. 

To be honest, the only thing I’ve missed from the V6 has been the skip back feature when you fast forward. All those other features you mention may  have been nice to have for the few that make use of them, but I made little use of them back in the day.

The ‘pretty pictures’ you dismiss is more like the streamers that we see when we go into the menu, and many people prefer this rather than the old fashioned list style used on the TiVo system. Incidentally, you can see all your recordings as a list if you prefer on the 360 just by clicking on the ‘View all’ tile.

On balance, I much prefer the 360 - the things I’ve lost are just gimmicks to me and on the whole, I haven’t missed them.

@BlueLou wrote:
V6 doesn't have Disney+, 360 does.

Although without Dolby Atmos support, so I'm better off using the app on my Apple TV box, especially as the loss of Series Link+ negates the main benefit of having the apps on the Virgin box.

@OLD_BOY_ASKING wrote:

You forgot about the ability to set profiles on the 360, which is a major practical advantage when there’s more than one person making use of the box. I have used it for my watchlists and found it invaluable. 

To be honest, the only thing I’ve missed from the V6 has been the skip back feature when you fast forward. All those other features you mention may  have been nice to have for the few that make use of them, but I made little use of them back in the day.

The ‘pretty pictures’ you dismiss is more like the streamers that we see when we go into the menu, and many people prefer this rather than the old fashioned list style used on the TiVo system. Incidentally, you can see all your recordings as a list if you prefer on the 360 just by clicking on the ‘View all’ tile.

On balance, I much prefer the 360 - the things I’ve lost are just gimmicks to me and on the whole, I haven’t missed them.

Profiles are negated somewhat by the fact that all recordings are now all lumped together on one box, maybe an improvement if you've got multiple people using a single box and all watching different things, but in a multi-room setup with multiple boxes you get basically all the benefits of profiles anyway, plus more, such as keeping everyone's recordings separate and meaning that if one person deletes a program on their box it isn't deleted for everyone else (who would then be unable to undo that due to the lack of undelete). 

The loss of all the series link management stuff also seems a major step back, considering the main purpose of a PVR is recording and playing back TV, those are really fundamental features.

I also personally found Wishlists to be incredibly useful, as they would pick up plenty of programs I was interested in watching, even on obscure channels and without me needing to scour the program guide the whole time.