Menu
NelTaran
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New hub 4 and mini box don’t deliver

My upgrade from a TiVo & v6 box has been a total nightmare. The WiFi , despite promising a speed of 1tb is running at about 300mb and the mini box is a total waste of space. It doesn’t keep any recordings, is totally reliant on the main box - which is forever auto shutting down so I’m missing planned recordings, won’t play anything without buffering and is impossible to navigate. I’m trying to get hold of an engineer to sort but as ever it could not be made more difficult by Virgin. I’m being chased for the old v6 box, but beginning to consider reconnecting it and swapping it back. Anyone else had a similar experience….or any tips pls? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New hub 4 and mini box don’t deliver

You've got a few points in here so I'll try to pick a few out..

The speed issues - best queried in the broadband forum but you need to establish if this is a speed issue or a WiFi issue. VM only guarantee speeds over hard-wired Ethernet connections, not wireless.

The 360 mini-box doesn't have a hard drive by design, it's reliant on the main box for all hard drive functionality. The master box needs to be set to fast start or active start to allow the mini to avoid issues with recordings.

Inability to play anything without buffering - what are you trying to play? (Recordings or VoD?) And is this on the main box or the mini?

How are your 2 boxes connected to your home-hub.. wireless or Ethernet?

You won't want to hear this, but once you've migrated to 360, you can't go back to the TiVo platform. Had you swapped the TiVo for a V6 before migrating, you'd have kept both V6 boxes and had 2 hard drives.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

NelTaran
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thats a really helpful answer thank you and was definitely not explained to me when I upgraded. I was only persuaded by the broadband offer.  I feel totally duped by Virgin and will not be staying on beyond this contract. The 360 system is total rubbish, especially in an old house. 
I really appreciate your detailed response. Thank you. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @NelTaran

Thank you for your post regarding the issues you are experiencing with your new Hub 4 and your TV mini box, I'm sorry to hear you have been disappointed with your upgrade.

With regards to your speeds, please can you run a speed test here virg.in/speedtest and let us know what speed are you getting when connecting directly to the hub via an ethernet cable? This will tell you the speed we are sending down to you so we can diagnose if this is a problem with your WiFi speeds or the speeds being sent.

Have you set the master box to fast start / active start to allow the mini to avoid issues with recordings?

How are your TV boxed connected - via wireless or wired connection?

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos