cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Virgin360 TiVo box needs replacing.

SPANKiE
On our wavelength

Whenever it get's to 80% full, recordings start failing.

If I allow it to become completely full, it totally freezes up.

After a reboot, it deletes all of my saved and scheduled recordings.

This started happening immediately after the Virgin360 update.

I tried to get it resolved months ago over the phone, but got some nonsense about there being a fault in my area.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

roy247
Community elder

@japitts wrote:

@SPANKiE wrote:

Just so I'm 100% clear on this, a TV360 is just a V6 with new operating system, right?

That's a bit like asking whether a Windows 11 laptop is just a Windows 10 laptop with a new OS.

The hardware is the same, but the OS and remote controls are completely different. V6 refers to the box running TiVo software, TV360 refers to it running "Horizon" software which VM-UK market as TV360.

The posts from people (myself included) who have V6 are running TiVo-software. You have a TV360, it runs 360-software. If the issue was hardware-related, it would potentially affect both software platforms. But fundamentally, TV360 is not TiVo.

Unfortunately it can't be proven on this box as it can't be rolled back to being a V6 to see if it still works at 80% full, so if the upgrade to 360 has screwed the box it won't be the first box to be upgraded from V6 to 360 to start losing it's recordings.

I haven't managed to record that much on my 360 yet, but that's because of good management and the fact that I can't record all the live music I had over 2 V6 boxes, because it's not available anymore, so I cannot rule out it's a 360 software problem.

Basically the box needs to be replaced to prove if the problem is hardware or software related if Virgin can't reproduce it in house, if it's software then Virgin know they have a problem to look at.

I would have thought you would have got a hard drive full message or something similar but that could be another software issue.

SPANKiE
On our wavelength

Right, as I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

What are your reasons for not updating to the new OS, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, how do you quote a post? Thanks.

roy247
Community elder

I haven't upgraded 2 V6 boxes to 360 I got invited to swap my V6 boxes to the all new 360, really part of the 360 trial without mentioning that bit, so lost half of my recording capability which is why I manage my recordings and delete stuff more than I used to.

If you want to quote a post above the reply box you will see the quote icon ", fourth from the left,

@SPANKiE wrote:

Right, as I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

What are your reasons for not updating to the new OS, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, how do you quote a post? Thanks.

My reasons for not upgrading is mostly that the 360 loses a number of useful features that the V6 has and you gain very little in return (mostly just a flashier looking interface that isn't as easy to use, and voice control, if you care about that). You lose out on series link management, wishlists (which is a very powerful feature where you can set the box to record any programs with specific people, or topics etc.), suggestions, quick view, skip back after FFWD, Series Link+, being able to setup series links for programs that aren't one within the next 14 days, and probably a few other things. The 360 may gain some of these features over time, but some of the best ones are patented by TiVo so will probably never come.

The 360 has also had some teething troubles due to being new, losing all recordings seems a common complaint and not being able to record only new episodes (though I believe that has now been fixed).

SPANKiE
On our wavelength

@roy247 wrote:

I haven't upgraded 2 V6 boxes to 360 I got invited to swap my V6 boxes to the all new 360, really part of the 360 trial without mentioning that bit, so lost half of my recording capability which is why I manage my recordings and delete stuff more than I used to.

If you want to quote a post above the reply box you will see the quote icon ", fourth from the left,

Thanks. I didn't know the quote button would automatically populate my post.

SPANKiE
On our wavelength

It does seem like a huge downgrade in a lot of ways.

Among other things, the missing info regarding the specific date a show was first aired really annoys me on a regular basis 😞

Doobydave
On our wavelength

Well, I've two V6s and I'm bloody glad I read here before asking for the 'upgrade' to 360. Too many features lost and not enough gains (none for me actually) to make the switch.

Thanks for the feature comparison!

SPANKiE
On our wavelength

So here I am again, 9? months later facing the same issue as multiple times before.

Only this time, there was less than 50% of storage used (~46% iirc)

Since my last post here, trying to bring this to somebody's attention who could actually help, I came to the conclusion that the previous time that the box had wiped itself, it hadn't actually freed up all the space. It hadn't dawned on me that it had filled up to around the 70% mark in a very short period of time.

Having factory reset the box yet again, it seemed to be working as expected until now, and has taken much longer to fill up.

I have been very weary of allowing it to become "too full" since then, yet found it very easy to keep it in the 30-40% full range

Anyway, I turn it on today and all recordings and planned recordings have vanished yet again. No failed recordings or any other sign that it was about to go **bleep** up on this occation.

Will sombody please take my issue seriously, and send out a new box please. This one is dying.

Thanks.

Hey SPANKiE,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your 360 box, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

SPANKiE
On our wavelength

Sorry for the late reply, Steven.

I just wanted to say thank you for finally getting my issue resolved, with a shiny new box.

All seems well now 🙂

Also, the engineer was great.