cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local News HD ? far from it

Bewlaybro
On our wavelength

Ok so after a long and rather annoying time waiting for my local News program "Look North" (West Yorkshire Area) on the BBC to finally arrive in glorious High Fidelity, the picture quality is totally dire.

However the ITV version of our local news "Calendar " is looking totally sharp and pristine.

It's like looking at TV the way it was in the eighties... why is this can anyone help ?

14 REPLIES 14

I think Manchester and London were HD from Day 1 of the HD switch.

@RayW2 wrote:

Look Northwest (Manchester) is certainly HD via Virgin, dunno about other platforms but in the Northwest of England we certainly have BBC1 regional news magazine in HD at 18:30 Mon - Fri ...

--

Ray Woodward

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

BBC One London certainly went HD some weeks ago.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

BBC One London certainly went HD some weeks ago.

It has been for some considerable time. In the first days of BBC News HD when BBC Breakfast was simulcast with BBC1, BBC News used to show BBC London news in the opt-out slots & this was always in HD quality. I always used to watch Breakfast on BBC News because of it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I thought I read that until we get full HD for BBC local news outside London that the BBC were using upscaled SD as a stop gap. Here in Bormingham the local news is still in SD though I think it looks slightly better than when it was on channel 108. Actually when they move from the studio to an outside broadcast the PQ improves to close to HD.

Yes Birmingham is upscaled, they broadcast from Mailbox in Birmingham I understand that they intend to relocate from there, so it makes sense not to upgrade the studio and equipment until they move.