cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inadequate storage space

barcode00
On our wavelength

When our household was upgraded to TV 360 we lost a lot of storage space because what had been three boxes with their own storage space, became one box with 1TB which has rapidly filled up.

The boxes that were taken away were originally V6 and had their own storage - these were taken away and replaced with slim versions which share storage from a main box.

The slim version of the TV 360 apparently has no (or little) storage space, which also means it can only pause live playback for ≈2 minutes.

What are the options for increasing storage capacity?

7 REPLIES 7

roy247
Community elder

@barcode00 wrote:

The slim version of the TV 360 apparently has no (or little) storage space, which also means it can only pause live playback for ≈2 minutes.

To pause for longer on a mini box you need to press record so it records on the main box, in your case if you have any room available.

As the software was originally intended for cloud storage (not available in the UK due to the broadcasting companies), there are no options to increase storage capability.

Royalbeech
Superfast

@barcode00 wrote:

When our household was upgraded to TV 360 we lost a lot of storage space because what had been three boxes with their own storage space, became one box with 1TB which has rapidly filled up.

The boxes that were taken away were originally V6 and had their own storage - these were taken away and replaced with slim versions which share storage from a main box.

Why did you let them take the V6 boxes away in the first place? both of mine were converted to the 360 software, so I have 2TB.

Unless you were an early adopter, you should have been allowed to keep at least two V6 boxes with 1TB each.

Thanks for the reply.

I’m can’t quite remember why - I don’t think I realised at the time that the “slim” boxes have no storage, or I may have thought two full-size boxes would not be compatible with each other. The box that was taken away was in a bedroom, so I only realised it had been removed when the engineer had already left.

Ultimately, though, I believed this was how it had to be - a technical limitation, if you will - so I just accepted it.

We now only have one full-size box with 1TB, and two additional (slim) TV360 boxes without storage.

2TB would be helpful…

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @barcode00 

Are you certain all of your original boxes were V6 boxes? 

If you had V6 boxes then they should have just had a software update to 360, hence you would have retained the hard drives on the boxes.  If however you had the older TIVO boxes then they would have been swapped out for the miniboxes.

You can check which boxes you had by looking at the pictures <<< here >>> 

If you log into My Virgin Media you should also be able to check your old contracts and that would show which type of boxes you had.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Original boxes were: two V6 boxes and one TiVo box.

After the engineer visited, I had one full size 360 and two mini 360 boxes.

Ideally I would have been left with at least TWO boxes with storage.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you'd have done that conversion now, then the V6 would be software converted and the TiVo hardware swapped to a mini. It's fundamental in TV360-setup that additional box installs are minis without hard drives, just that V6 conversions mitigate for that.

Unfortunately, you now have the storage that you have and I don't see any way for that to be changed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

barcode00
On our wavelength

That’s frustrating.

Odd that I have to accept less storage potential when it didn’t need to be this way.

The conversion was also performed by the engineer, who was present when the changeover occurred.