How to disable pin needed to stop under age watching

josca
Tuning in

How to stop having to put pin in every time when in adult household

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @josca 

I'm afraid you can't. It's a mandatory OFCOM directive and affects Sky as well as Virgin, they can't transmit (or re-transmit) any programme or film rated higher than 12+ out of watershed hours without the viewing PIN being locked on.

You can blame both OCOM and SKY as it was introduced as part of an agreement that Sky got to broadcast higher rated films during the day. It affects various channels, movies, box sets etc.

.....if this is correct, why does this ONLY happen with the 360 software and not on TiVo ?

I was never asked to enter a PIN when watching these same channels on TiVo - only on the 360 does it ask for a PIN....

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @josca 

I'm afraid you can't. It's a mandatory OFCOM directive and affects Sky as well as Virgin, they can't transmit (or re-transmit) any programme or film rated higher than 12+ out of watershed hours without the viewing PIN being locked on.

You can blame both OCOM and SKY as it was introduced as part of an agreement that Sky got to broadcast higher rated films during the day. It affects various channels, movies, box sets etc.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a few links to Ofcom's policy guidance on "Mandatory Daytime Protection" at...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @josca 

.....if this is correct, why does this ONLY happen with the 360 software and not on TiVo ?

I was never asked to enter a PIN when watching these same channels on TiVo - only on the 360 does it ask for a PIN....

Yet they can bombard kids with gambling ads 24 x 7. OFCOM is a joke.

JohnD
Strangely strange yet oddly normal.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@deans6571 wrote:

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @josca 

Sky channels do ask for a PIN on V6 / TiVo too

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/why-does-Sky-Comedy-ask-for-a-code/td...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

lizard1978
On our wavelength

I can't believe it, I just hopped over to 5USA for my weekly Falk fix..  and am challenged with a pin request, to watch COLUMBO! at 7pm ;  But I could watch it without any government oversight on Freeview ?

I mean Columbo, I want my kids to be able to watch Columbo whenever they want; 

It's nuts! 

As a Freeview channel, 5USA shouldn't be asking for a PIN or broadcasting any unsuitable content that would require a PIN before the watershed.

The PIN requirement only applies to encrypted channels and is only really used by Sky's channels.

I was watching columbo, but it didnt ask me for a pin...

cathaven
On our wavelength

it would be considerably more tolerable if once you'd enetered your pin, it didn't ask you again until after you turn the box off. They way it is, they aren't granting parents any trust in monitoring what their kids watch, and are driving everyone else crazy!