cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check Series Recordings and reason for not recording

DuncanCorps
Dialled in

Sigh. I'd set up a Series Recording (that seems to be the TV 360 equivalent to Series Link or, long ago, Season Pass in TiVo parlance) for Doctor Who on BBC 1. It'd been working fine, recording the Flux episodes and the New Year's Day special... It did not record this evening's episode.

I can guess a couple of possible reasons why it didn't record for me, but unless I can list and manage Series Recordings I can't verify which - if either - is correct;

1. Doctor Who wouldn't have been in the EPG on BBC 1 for three and a half months; I'm still suspicious of how Series Recordings work and still suspicious that a programme not in the EPG for a while gets... forgotten.
  2. The Series Recording was broken by January's channel renumbering... it was impossible to find and recreate a Doctor Who Series Recording back then because there were no upcoming Planned Recordings to check.

So... am I missing something? Is there yet any way to see, review, manage a list of Series Recordings (not a list of Planned Recordings)? I remember asking a similar question here about recreating Series Recordings for programmes with no upcoming entries in the EPG, and the only answer was "you can only change what you can see" 😞 .

My TV 360 is on version 4.37 from February, I see mentions of 4.39 so... I'm two minor versions behind? Seems like a pretty valuable and obvious feature, I look forward to its inevitable eventual appearance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The cause is almost certainly your reason 2, the changes caused by moving BBC channels to regional HD channels.

In Scotland, we had no such change for BBC1 HD and our series record caught Doctor Who today OK.

Your reason 2 is not valid. Series records do pick up new episodes, even with the series record function in level 4.37 and below. Level 4.39 which has started rolling out improves the function by allowing series record to include a ‘new only’ function.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The cause is almost certainly your reason 2, the changes caused by moving BBC channels to regional HD channels.

In Scotland, we had no such change for BBC1 HD and our series record caught Doctor Who today OK.

Your reason 2 is not valid. Series records do pick up new episodes, even with the series record function in level 4.37 and below. Level 4.39 which has started rolling out improves the function by allowing series record to include a ‘new only’ function.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DuncanCorps wrote:
The Series Recording was broken by January's channel renumbering... it was impossible to find and recreate a Doctor Who Series Recording back then because there were no upcoming Planned Recordings to check.

Series links weren't broken by the BBC1-HD changes back in January, but TV360 doesn't currently manage multi-channel SL's - so when Ch101 moved from BBC1-SD to BBC1-HD, and Ch108 was reallocated... TV360 series links for BBC1-HD did need resetting.

@DuncanCorps wrote:

So... am I missing something? Is there yet any way to see, review, manage a list of Series Recordings (not a list of Planned Recordings)? I remember asking a similar question here about recreating Series Recordings for programmes with no upcoming entries in the EPG, and the only answer was "you can only change what you can see"

I use a V6 still, so can't swear blind - but I'm 99% sure the lack of a "manage my series links" feature as on TiVo-software is indeed one of the current limitations of TV360 in comparison.

roy247
Community elder

Both the answers given above should answer your questions, also there is no manage your series links option on 360 (yet) and for some reason the software is jumping from 4.37 to 4.39, no 4.38.

Bother. This, of course, means that there could be other Series Recordings which are still broken and there's no way to identify them until noticing - after the event, and so too late - that something has not recorded as expected. Grr

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

...or sanity-checking your planned recordings at least once a week - perhaps early in the week, after week+2 listings are fully populated.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DuncanCorps,

Thanks for raising your concerns and welcome back to the community.

Just to clarify, have you only faced issues with shows recorded on BBC1-HD or has there been other shows that have not recorded?

Thanks,

Kain

I really shouldn't have to do that given we're two decades into PVRs, I never had to worry about it with TiVo, and how much I'm paying each month. The damned thing is supposed to be doing all that for me, and reliably, or informing me when something's gone wrong...

I'm not sure; there could've been loads of problems and I wouldn't be aware of them because I've been trusting the box to take care of it all for me (as TiVo did) rather than spend time micromanaging and monitoring it.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @DuncanCorps

I'll feed this back to the 360 team that the option to manage series links is being asked for on community. 

Have you know reset your series links for BBC HD? Please let us know if it fails to record again after you have reset the link and we'll investigate this further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley