Menu
stephentucker
Up to speed
Message 791 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have virgin given up on UHD?

@jonathanpye wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

Well much to my own surprise I ended up staying with Virgin. Just signed up for another 18 months with the following....

2 existing V6's with 360 update, 1 new 360 Box to replace old TIVO box.

Ultimate Oomph with UHD upgrade

600mb broadband

£90 a month. No other charges.

Not bad at all, I assume your wife approves!.

It also means based on my estimates I'm overpaying at £117 and should be paying £100 for 2 boxes but with Gig1. 

Ha ha, yes she does! It's why I asked for the 360 update. It might not be a as good practically but it looks shiny and new and a bit like Sky Q!

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Superfast
Message 792 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@stephentucker wrote:

@jonathanpye wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

Well much to my own surprise I ended up staying with Virgin. Just signed up for another 18 months with the following....

600mb broadband

It also means based on my estimates I'm overpaying at £117 and should be paying £100 for 2 boxes but with Gig1. 

Ha ha, yes she does! It's why I asked for the 360 update. It might not be a as good practically but it looks shiny and new and a bit like Sky Q!

Wait till you start using it, you will need to take cover!

0 Kudos
stephentucker
Up to speed
Message 793 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@NinjaMeerkat wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

@jonathanpye wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

600mb broadband

I have heard this. I'm definitely going in with some trepidation but we only use the most basic of time shifting options and not too often. As long as we can series link Coronation street and Match of the day, we will both be happy.

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 794 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@stephentucker wrote:

@NinjaMeerkat wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

@jonathanpye wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

600mb broadband

I have heard this. I'm definitely going in with some trepidation but we only use the most basic of time shifting options and not too often. As long as we can series link Coronation street and Match of the day, we will both be happy.

You didnt mention series link did you?Lock the pans away then if you value your life... I believe it's not as selective, ie new or reruns, in what it records so fills up hard drive quickly . There was N update to this so not sure how much of this issue the update fixed.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1 with UHD
VM Telly Tablet
markdyer72
Superfast
Message 795 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@jonathanpye wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

@NinjaMeerkat wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

@jonathanpye wrote:

@stephentucker wrote:

600mb broadband

You didnt mention series link did you?Lock the pans away then if you value your life... I believe it's not as selective, ie new or reruns, in what it records so fills up hard drive quickly . There was N update to this so not sure how much of this issue the update fixed.

I haven’t had any repeat recordings since update 4.29

golden86
Dialled in
Message 796 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@stephentucker

Thought you might cave in, you got a great deal!  Was it a 3rd call from outbound retention? Just wondering if they keep calling or only call once.

0 Kudos
stephentucker
Up to speed
Message 797 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@golden86 wrote:

@stephentucker

Thought you might cave in, you got a great deal!  Was it a 3rd call from outbound retention? Just wondering if they keep calling or only call once.

Where to start? It's been torturous to be honest, I was still needing to speak to them last night to sort out their latest **bleep** up. I've had so many calls and emails with them over the last week or so I've lost count. Basically they initially contacted me within 24 hrs of me signing up to SKY before I'd even informed them of my intention to leave. They were alerted because SKY contacted them requesting the porting of my landline number. That prompted them to offer me the £90 a month deal but at that point didn't include the free 360 update (note I dont use the word upgrade, i'll reserve judgement on that) to the two V6 boxes and the additional 360 box to replace the ancient TIVO. I initially declined their offer and the call ended with me confirming I would definitely be leaving to go to SKY. 24 hours later I had an email from them stating that as result of cancelling my phone contract my bill would be adjusted to £160 a month for the duration of my contract(About 6 weeks at that point). This is because I have removed an aspect of the discounted oomph bundle. Fair enough except the transfer of phone line was not due to take place until just 10 days before my virgin contract expired not the 5 extra weeks they were going to bill me for. So I phoned retentions, not to haggle a new deal but to get the bill sorted. But as a result, he offered me the 360 updates and the replacement box and added the UHD package for £90 quid and I just thought, ok that'll do. Then I had to go back to SKY to cancel and endure their hard sell. But I stood firm.

However that's not the end of the saga. Not only have virgin twice since sent me new adjusted bills and contracts that contradict each other, they last night switched off my old Tivo box even though the new one isn't coming until saturday but also bizarrely dropped the price down another £5 a month to £85 which is now a ridiculously cheap overall! Too good to be true? I'll know on saturday when I'm meant to receive three new remotes and a new 360 mini box for a self install. I've not yet mentioned by the way, they also rang me back in between to say, it wouldn't now be a self install but would need to be an engineer's visit on the 9th April, very specifically between 1pm and 6pm. I reluctantly accepted this but after ending the call I was sceptical it would happen and low and behold two days later having had no confirmation of an install appointment and nothing in my outstanding orders, I called them back to double check someone was definitely coming on the 9th and was told there was no such appointment on the system and that the original bloke who I spoke to would call me back within the hour..... He didn't. 

Instead, I received an email later that day confirming the 3rd April self install!. We'll see what happens come Saturday and if anything actually turns up. Promisingly 'My orders' now shows it as in the hands of Yodel and scheduled for saturday so it looks like something is on its way.

My honest impression is that most of this is caused by 'A computer says no' set up where the human will is there to offer a good service( At least within the retentions dept) The people I speak to in retentions always seem genuinely friendly, competent, knowledgeable and helpful and willing to give good service but after the call ends the 'system' takes over and mayhem ensues it seems

Anyway I bet you wish you'd never asked! 

In short to bring this back on topic, if all goes to plan on saturday I would have indeed finally ended up with the UHD upgrade as part of an £85 a month ultimate oomph bundle with 600mb broadband over three 360 boxes for 18 months and that won't be too shabby at all.

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 798 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@stephentucker wrote:

@golden86 wrote:

@stephentucker

Where to start? It's been torturous to be honest, I was still needing to speak to them last night to sort out their latest **bleep** up. I've had so many calls and emails with them over the last week or so I've lost count. Basically they initially contacted me within 24 hrs of me signing up to SKY before I'd even informed them of my intention to leave. They were alerted because SKY contacted them requesting the porting of my landline number. That prompted them to offer me the £90 a month deal but at that point didn't include the free 360 update (note I dont use the word upgrade, i'll reserve judgement on that) to the two V6 boxes and the additional 360 box to replace the ancient TIVO. I initially declined their offer and the call ended with me confirming I would definitely be leaving to go to SKY. 24 hours later I had an email from them stating that as result of cancelling my phone contract my bill would be adjusted to £160 a month for the duration of my contract(About 6 weeks at that point). This is because I have removed an aspect of the discounted oomph bundle. Fair enough except the transfer of phone line was not due to take place until just 10 days before my virgin contract expired not the 5 extra weeks they were going to bill me for. So I phoned retentions, not to haggle a new deal but to get the bill sorted. But as a result, he offered me the 360 updates and the replacement box and added the UHD package for £90 quid and I just thought, ok that'll do. Then I had to go back to SKY to cancel and endure their hard sell. But I stood firm.

However that's not the end of the saga. Not only have virgin twice since sent me new adjusted bills and contracts that contradict each other, they last night switched off my old Tivo box even though the new one isn't coming until saturday but also bizarrely dropped the price down another £5 a month to £85 which is now a ridiculously cheap overall! Too good to be true? I'll know on saturday when I'm meant to receive three new remotes and a new 360 mini box for a self install. I've not yet mentioned by the way, they also rang me back in between to say, it wouldn't now be a self install but would need to be an engineer's visit on the 9th April, very specifically between 1pm and 6pm. I reluctantly accepted this but after ending the call I was sceptical it would happen and low and behold two days later having had no confirmation of an install appointment and nothing in my outstanding orders, I called them back to double check someone was definitely coming on the 9th and was told there was no such appointment on the system and that the original bloke who I spoke to would call me back within the hour..... He didn't. 

Instead, I received an email later that day confirming the 3rd April self install!. We'll see what happens come Saturday and if anything actually turns up. Promisingly 'My orders' now shows it as in the hands of Yodel and scheduled for saturday so it looks like something is on its way.

My honest impression is that most of this is caused by 'A computer says no' set up where the human will is there to offer a good service( At least within the retentions dept) The people I speak to in retentions always seem genuinely friendly, competent, knowledgeable and helpful and willing to give good service but after the call ends the 'system' takes over and mayhem ensues it seems

Anyway I bet you wish you'd never asked! 

In short to bring this back on topic, if all goes to plan on saturday I would have indeed finally ended up with the UHD upgrade as part of an £85 a month ultimate oomph bundle with 600mb broadband over three 360 boxes for 18 months and that won't be too shabby at all.

Blow me, what a bag of [REMOVED].

Curious to see the outcome on Saturday. My prediction,  yodel arrive with 2 remotes not 3, no mini! .  Taking bets at 3 - 1!!

You should have haggled for Gig1 at no added cost whilst you had the upper hand!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1 with UHD
VM Telly Tablet
stephentucker
Up to speed
Message 799 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Ha ha. I would've!. 1 GB not available in my area. I also have my doubts as to what will turn up but we'll see.

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Superfast
Message 800 of 828
Flag for a moderator

£85 pm with UHD 360 and 2 minis is £4 pm less than a new customer would pay, well done. My only concern is that even at £85 pm I wouldnt endure the 360 software. 😞

0 Kudos