Menu
RAQUEL6
Fibre optic
Message 541 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have virgin given up on UHD?

@Nova1989 wrote:

@RAQUEL6 wrote:

I have to say BT Ultimate does look spot on to me, i do not have Sky UHD ( as you know 😉) but compared to the Virgin UHD channel which to me never looks that great

Aye, I get a better picture with talking pictures than their Virgin UHD channel.

😆😆 Some good stuff on TP as well 

Kickoverthestatues
0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 542 of 828
Flag for a moderator

The problem when looking at the movie channels for PQ in UHD is that, for movies, PQ isn't all about "sharpness".

Given the amount of effects a film maker can add from soft focus to digital colour palette to washed out effects it can be difficult to compare as that "unsharp, washed out" image may be by "artistic intent". Also, older content that is in the UHD section will be a UHD copy of the original film and may look grainier as UHD will expose the fine detail including the grain.

UHD isn't necessarily all about sharper images but also brings an increased colour gamut - take a look at this article, it explains it all fairly well.

Things like sport and nature programmes will be the ones that are likely to stand out and give the "eye popping" effects as they will be deliberatly shot that way.  With movies we're at the mercy of the director and his artistic intent.

Anyway, just another thing to think about when looking at UHD movies!

jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 543 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the additional information. You are correct about UHD technically. But the whole technical aspect is about overall visual improvement.

I think we are saying that overall visually some uhd streaming sources seem better than others.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Ultimate Ooomph Gig1 with UHD
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos
RAQUEL6
Fibre optic
Message 544 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Good article Paul 

Yes i think people expect to much sometimes when the UHD banner is shown...but there does seem to be a lot of complaints about the quality of it shown on Virgin , cant all have bad eyes or Tvs 🤔😆

Kickoverthestatues
0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 545 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Yes i think people expect to much sometimes when the UHD banner is shown...but there does seem to be a lot of complaints about the quality of it shown on Virgin , cant all have bad eyes or Tvs 🤔😆

I think you’d need to do a direct comparison of the same movie on say Virgin’s Sky Movies UHD and via Netflix or something like Rakuten with a lot of UHD content to make a valid decision.  At the moment it’s all subjective and down to what people expect they should see.  All I was trying to do was show that it’s not all about sharpness and you also can’t compare sport and nature to movies (not that anyone was I don’t think).  I remember the same discussions happening when HD came out (and there are still those that claim they can’t tell the difference between SD and HD).

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 546 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@paul0363 wrote:

I think you’d need to do a direct comparison of the same movie on say Virgin’s Sky Movies UHD and via Netflix or something like Rakuten with a lot of UHD content to make a valid decision.  At the moment it’s all subjective and down to what people expect they should see.  All I was trying to do was show that it’s not all about sharpness and you also can’t compare sport and nature to movies (not that anyone was I don’t think).  I remember the same discussions happening when HD came out (and there are still those that claim they can’t tell the difference between SD and HD).

Hi Paul,

Agreed.

Even HDTV test comparing uhd blu ray to Disney+ highlights subtle differences in either source but nothing major. It's actually dissuaded me from buying a dedicated 4k player.

But if I look at netflix and what I have been watching long term in UHD via the TV app, compared to Virgin Cinema UHD, Netflix is visibly better in all aspects, again via the TV App.

I cant comment if sky cinema uhd on Vrigin is better or worse than sky cinema uhd on sky.

So I cannot say if its Virgins issue or an issue at source from Sky.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos
RAQUEL6
Fibre optic
Message 547 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Agree that the Netflix app has been  the best UHD/4K picture i have seen so far 

Kickoverthestatues
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Rising star
Message 548 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@RAQUEL6 wrote:

I have to say BT Ultimate does look spot on to me, i do not have Sky UHD ( as you know 😉) but compared to the Virgin UHD channel which to me never looks that great

BT ultimate looks great in 1080p too, you can tell you're watching BT ultimate even without a 4k TV. 

0 Kudos
NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic
Message 549 of 828
Flag for a moderator

@jonathanpye wrote:

@paul0363 wrote:

Hi Paul,

Agreed.

Even HDTV test comparing uhd blu ray to Disney+ highlights subtle differences in either source but nothing major. It's actually dissuaded me from buying a dedicated 4k player.

But if I look at netflix and what I have been watching long term in UHD via the TV app, compared to Virgin Cinema UHD, Netflix is visibly better in all aspects, again via the TV App.

I cant comment if sky cinema uhd on Vrigin is better or worse than sky cinema uhd on sky.

So I cannot say if its Virgins issue or an issue at source from Sky.

Netflix also supports HDR so if you have a high end FALD TV then you will see a marked improvement over standard UHD.

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Fibre optic
Message 550 of 828
Flag for a moderator

Yes, yet the 4k article mentions HDR so it should be a given as part of the UHD offering. If Netflix can offer 4k, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on the TV app why dont the main so called TV providers do so. If they can do so on  BT ultimate  occasionally, why not more widespread.

Hence why my viewing habits have changed alot, Netflix,  Disney+ via TV are main goto for TV and film unless there is something I decide I want to watch that isn't available there but only on sky.

Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
VM Telly Tablet
0 Kudos