Menu
Koolmacher
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dim Flickering effect on football pitches

Recently got a new Sony A8 4k Oled and noticed when watching football on Virgin in hd or uhd there is a faint flickering or strobe effect happening on the green of the football pitches it doesn't happen in YouTube/Amazon or Netflix but only through the Virgin 360 box using the supplied HDMI cable. It happens on other content as well but is easiest to spot watching football, anyone else have this problem?

0 Kudos
Nova1989
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dim Flickering effect on football pitches

Happens on mine too.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d1db0da76043c41871c5a4c7663bd47289828ca1
0 Kudos
flurians
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is one of many issues I’m experiencing right now and I’ve found that this can be somewhat improved by setting the 360 box’s output to 1080i.

Presumably the flickering is caused by the poor built in deinterlacing as there is currently no pass through option on 360.

Regards

0 Kudos
Koolmacher
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info regarding switching the 360 box to 1080i but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a 4k TV. Hopefully overtime Virgin come up with a solution although if trying to get anything resolved via customer care is an indicator I shan't hold my breath!

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Koolmacher

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some picture issues with the screen flickering, do you find this happens on any other HD channels? Or is it specific to when you're watching football that you experience this issue? 

Please let us know, thanks. 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Koolmacher
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It happens on all channels but is more noticeable on a background of uniform colour like the grass on a pitch. It appears to fluctuate in intensity some days its more noticeable than others and doesn't make any difference if its HD or UHD content. I've tried different HDMI ports and cables, all picture processing settings off/on. It isn't an obvious fault it can be quite subtle at times but once you notice it you start looking for it straight away.

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try turning off motion smoothing on your TV, quite a common issue usually affecting green colours on UHD content

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Koolmacher wrote:

Thanks for the info regarding switching the 360 box to 1080i but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a 4k TV.

Under Settings > Audio & Video there are 5 settings Automatic, 4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p and 520p. 

If you have a 4K TV that upscales then if you can set the 360 to 1080p  then your 4K television will take care of the upscaling to 4K.

If you set the 360 box to 4K, the 360 box  takes care of the upscaling.

This might improve the flickering issue.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
IoanaNeacsu
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the 360 is setup at 1080p then on BT Sport Ultimate and Virgin Ultra HD the image will be 1080p not 4k, so, if watching these two channels you'll have to manually change the resolution to 4k on the 360. I personally prefer to leave it on 1080p as the flickering stops and change it to 4k when watching a football match on BT Sport Ultimate. 

0 Kudos