cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio issue - sharp bleep changing audio output

JP77
Tuning in

Hi,

I have my Virgin setup with Sonos - a beam and 2 play 1’s. For over a year the sound has worked fine and I have follow content audio setting on so when switching from different channels/shows or app eg Netlfix I can see through Sonos it changed from Stereo PCM to Dolby 2.0 or 5.1. It did this fine and worked well. Just recently now when the audio output changes when I change channel theres a sharp bleep noise for 1-2 seconds which is pretty unpleasant and then the sound kicks in fine. I know there was a fairly recent update. Has anyone got any ideas? I don’t really want to have to just use Stereo PCM as that kind of defeats the point of having my surround sound! Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

ozsat
Superstar

Are you going via a tv (like a Panasonic)?

There is an issue which cause this although it didn't happen on the 360 until the latest firmware update.

It has been long running on some setups on V6/TiVo and also Sky and BT kit - but is usually when the audio is routed through a tv.

@JP77 wrote:

Hi,

I have my Virgin setup with Sonos - a beam and 2 play 1’s. For over a year the sound has worked fine and I have follow content audio setting on so when switching from different channels/shows or app eg Netlfix I can see through Sonos it changed from Stereo PCM to Dolby 2.0 or 5.1. It did this fine and worked well. Just recently now when the audio output changes when I change channel theres a sharp bleep noise for 1-2 seconds which is pretty unpleasant and then the sound kicks in fine. I know there was a fairly recent update. Has anyone got any ideas? I don’t really want to have to just use Stereo PCM as that kind of defeats the point of having my surround sound! Thanks

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Hi,

Yea so the Sonos beam is connected to HDMI port 2 for the ARC input. Tv is Panasonic as it happens! Is there a fix? It’s only just started happening within the last week. Thanks

This 360 issue which only appeared on the latest firmware update - but was never fixed on the V6 or Sky boxes.

It is actually an issue with a chip used in the tv but not exclusive to Panasonic.

Hopefully as it was fine before then will identify the cause and remove whatever introduced it.

@JP77 wrote:

Hi,

Yea so the Sonos beam is connected to HDMI port 2 for the ARC input. Tv is Panasonic as it happens! Is there a fix? It’s only just started happening within the last week. Thanks

Hi,

So a Panasonic issue? So contact them or will I have to wait for them to find and release a new update? Thanks for your knowledge. Is there anywhere to read about this latest update? Thanks,

You could try Panasonic - I did and they didn't care. But then neither did VM or Sky - they said it was the others party's problem. It has been going on for a few years now.

I don't have the isse any more as I plug the devices into an amp direct and by-pass the tv.

Do a search for 'Panasonic', 'Dolby Digital' 'high pitch', 'beep' etc in the VM and Sky forums to see it a known issue.

But just to confirm that although 'Panasonic' is the main tv manufacturer with the issue - it does occur on some other makes.

Seen reports of Samsung tv too - but the common issue where the fault is heard seems to be using ARC.

Beep when selecting HD Channels 

Sonos beam beeps for dolby digital 

Sky: High pitched sound when changing between Sky HD channels 

Still having the problem?

@JP77 wrote:

Hi,

So a Panasonic issue? So contact them or will I have to wait for them to find and release a new update? Thanks for your knowledge. Is there anywhere to read about this latest update? Thanks,

Yep!

Played with all settings and cables etc. Still the same problem! Think i’ll call for an engineer visit or something

A visit will not fix it - it is firmware issue and not hardware fault.

What power saving mode do you use?  Fast Start?

@JP77 wrote:

Yep!

Played with all settings and cables etc. Still the same problem! Think i’ll call for an engineer visit or something

@ozsat wrote:

A visit will not fix it - it is firmware issue and not hardware fault.

What power saving mode do you use?  Fast Start?

@JP77 wrote:

Yep!

Ah well I guess I call to report it so maybe they can look into it. Long shot I know!

Yes it’s fast start, thanks for continuing to try and help