cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3x v6 to 3x 360…

SMaster
On our wavelength

Hello

A VM engineer tried to upgrade our 3no. V6 boxes to 360 boxes. Only two upgrades would take, but he’s working on that. However I have a question. 

Will all three boxes ‘sync’ their recordings so each box can play any recording locally? Or, have I totally misunderstood and two of the three HDD are effectively now redundant. Or is the storage shared across all three?

Could someone give me a definitive answer?

I don’t want to rely on my LAN to stream around the house (I use those power socket extenders and they aren’t great).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @SMaster 

If you have three V6 boxes which are all converted to the Horizon 360 firmware then they will all have their own hard drives for individual recordings.

The interface on each box however will list all recordings from all of the boxes.

Any recordings made on one of the other boxes will be streamed to the box you want to play it on, however the box it was recorded on either needs to be turned on, or set to Active Start or Fast Start (Settings > System > Standby power consumption) 

When going to Recordings > Recorded > Recorded you can select each box individually and the interface now lists the percentage used on each box (applies to upgraded V6 boxes as they all have hard drives)

When setting up a series link go to Advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is one of the others. So all you need to do is reset your series links to record on the box you want them to. Unfortunately to reset the links, you'll need to delete and reset. You can also use the same method to record individual programs rather than series.

You can also further fine tune the recordings by doing the following

Clicking on the top row and selecting Manage Storage > Enter your pin number > brings up a new screen where you can set your default options for deleting recordings

Ask to delete after watching can be turned On or Off

Auto-delete when space needed can be switched to Off or On. This function will automatically delete the oldest content when disk space is required for a new recording. By default, it’ll be off for existing users but for new installs it’ll be on. (This may be why when the 360 gets to around 80% full some recordings fail, possibly depending on the length of the program, and older recordings are deleted)

You can also further fine tune recordings Fast Clean-up options

If you have more than one main box select the box you wish to perform these actions on

From there you can :- Delete all fully watched programs.

Delete all recordings older than 6 months.

Delete all recordings.

Stop all future recordings.

Delete and stop all recordings.

You can also protect shows and ensure they aren’t auto deleted when auto delete is turned on:

Saved > Recorded > See All Highlight (select) the program by name and click on the edit “pencil” icon on the right side of the bin (delete) icon, then either turn on or off Protect from auto-delete for that program.

If space is required for a new recording, unprotected recordings will be deleted using this logic: Watched, oldest to newest recording. Unwatched, oldest to newest. Content that is being watched at the time will not be deleted. And if all content is protected, the recording will fail indicating this as a reason

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @SMaster 

If you have three V6 boxes which are all converted to the Horizon 360 firmware then they will all have their own hard drives for individual recordings.

The interface on each box however will list all recordings from all of the boxes.

Any recordings made on one of the other boxes will be streamed to the box you want to play it on, however the box it was recorded on either needs to be turned on, or set to Active Start or Fast Start (Settings > System > Standby power consumption) 

When going to Recordings > Recorded > Recorded you can select each box individually and the interface now lists the percentage used on each box (applies to upgraded V6 boxes as they all have hard drives)

When setting up a series link go to Advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is one of the others. So all you need to do is reset your series links to record on the box you want them to. Unfortunately to reset the links, you'll need to delete and reset. You can also use the same method to record individual programs rather than series.

You can also further fine tune the recordings by doing the following

Clicking on the top row and selecting Manage Storage > Enter your pin number > brings up a new screen where you can set your default options for deleting recordings

Ask to delete after watching can be turned On or Off

Auto-delete when space needed can be switched to Off or On. This function will automatically delete the oldest content when disk space is required for a new recording. By default, it’ll be off for existing users but for new installs it’ll be on. (This may be why when the 360 gets to around 80% full some recordings fail, possibly depending on the length of the program, and older recordings are deleted)

You can also further fine tune recordings Fast Clean-up options

If you have more than one main box select the box you wish to perform these actions on

From there you can :- Delete all fully watched programs.

Delete all recordings older than 6 months.

Delete all recordings.

Stop all future recordings.

Delete and stop all recordings.

You can also protect shows and ensure they aren’t auto deleted when auto delete is turned on:

Saved > Recorded > See All Highlight (select) the program by name and click on the edit “pencil” icon on the right side of the bin (delete) icon, then either turn on or off Protect from auto-delete for that program.

If space is required for a new recording, unprotected recordings will be deleted using this logic: Watched, oldest to newest recording. Unwatched, oldest to newest. Content that is being watched at the time will not be deleted. And if all content is protected, the recording will fail indicating this as a reason

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

SMaster
On our wavelength

Thank you Dave, that’s fabulous.

I love this community!