cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 mini

annisonj
Joining in
  • My in-laws ‘upgraded’ recently from a v old box to Oomph with a 360 mini. An existing additional box is still in use. The new box does not have a record facility that they assumed would be part of the new kit. Is this feasible?
  • Can this be mini be upgraded or replaced easily to give them the functionality they want?
8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a couple of things in here. Firstly, and it's not going to help with the answer but for reference, the package change is completely separate from your choice to convert from TiVo/V6 (the V-HD recording box has been obsolete for many years now) to 360 - although many people do both things at the same time.

As an answer - no. Anyone who converts from V6 > 360 is only doing a software install and will retain the hard drive storage. In any other scenario - so new installs, or conversions from TiVo - the 360-platform only supports one master recording box.

Any additional multiroom boxes on TV360 are then minis without hard drives, this is by design. You can set & watch recordings on the mini, but you are muiltiroom streaming from the master which holds all the storage.

Incidentally, was it a V-HD box that your in-laws had? Or was it a TiVo? There's pictures of the TiVo here & the V-box here - it's too late now, but if your in-law had a TiVo box they could have upgraded it to a V6 and it would have retained the hard drive. Both their (presumably) V6 would then have retained hard drive storage had they chose separately, to convert to 360.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So the old box (upstairs) can still record. 
mid it possible to tap into that storage from the new mini (downstairs). 
mor if they swapped does that simply move the storage facility downstairs?

(This is a mother in law / father in law situation. FIL upstairs and MIL downstairs)

thanks 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The master box has the hard drive storage. The mini-box slaves all recordings to and from the master box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sounds like it just needs setting up correctly then.  A trip for dutiful son in law!

I had a similar situation when I converted my two V6 boxes to 360 via software update….This resulted in having my storage halved as the spare room box was just a “slave” to the master box…I had major issues with the set up re codes and eventually an engineer visited and set both boxes to be able to record!!!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Harley2017 wrote:

I had a similar situation when I converted my two V6 boxes to 360 via software update….

Converting 2 x V6 is fundamentally different because both boxes have hard drives.

I think the OP here, has a mini-box which doesn't have a hard drive physically installed.

I thought that too but when the conversation was originally done one box was converted into a mini!!!!

It was only after about six weeks of trouble that an engineer visited and “reverted” the box back…

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Harley2017 wrote:

I thought that too but when the conversation was originally done one box was converted into a mini!!!!

This must have been a SW or account-related thing then, there's plenty of people on this forum who've converted V6 into 360-masters with no problem. An interesting scenario, though.

A mini-360 in the context of this thread, is where there is physically no HDD installed - you can't SW-fix that back without a HW-swapout!! Which, incidentally, is not normal process when 360 additionals are minis by design.