cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 main boxes.

Sam36
Joining in

I currently have 2 v6 boxes. I am looking to upgrade them to360. Can both boxes be main boxes or does one have to be a mini?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any V6 that's converted into 360 retains hard drive storage and becomes a 360-master.

Any subsequent multiroom installs are 360-minis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any V6 that's converted into 360 retains hard drive storage and becomes a 360-master.

Any subsequent multiroom installs are 360-minis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hey @Sam36,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

@japitts has covered all the bases with that response.

if you want to go ahead with the upgrade, please contact the team on 150 or 0345 454 1111 and they will be able to arrange that for you.

Regards,

Steven_L

antonypg
On our wavelength

Are there any benefits to having two V6 boxes converted to 360 as apposed to one box and a mini?

I guess both boxes can still record independently. Can you share recordings between boxes? If I later got a mini would that pair with just one of the masters?

@antonypg wrote:

Are there any benefits to having two V6 boxes converted to 360 as apposed to one box and a mini?

I guess both boxes can still record independently. Can you share recordings between boxes? If I later got a mini would that pair with just one of the masters?

The main advantage is that if you convert 2 V6 boxes you can record on both boxes, a mini box has no hard drive so any recordings set on the mini box record on the main box.

Edited to answer the last question, the mini box would see recordings on both converted V6 boxes.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

360-masters have hard drives so full recording ability.

360-minis don't - so are limited to a 5ish minute pause buffer, and do all their "recording" via streaming from the master box.

This is one aspect where converted ex-V6 do mitigate for one of the downsides of the 360 platform.