Menu
DT17
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

360 box and LG tv-not working together

Got the 360 and LG55CX smart tv.

Connected box to router as instructed.

Set up of box says connect HDMI lead from box to tv. My tv in another room away from the box and router, so can’t connect lead.

My remote doesn’t control anything on the tv. Nothing comes up on the tv.I have Ethernet through power line plugs and wifi point on tv in the other room. I definitely have internet access on the tv as I can get BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc. Can’t get any live tv channels-BBC1, etc.

Can’t get the Virgin remote to do anything-Paired it with the box but still zilch on my LG tv.

What on earth do I do now?

Helpful suggestions only please.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 360 box and LG tv-not working together

No HDMI cable between the Virgin Media TV box and your TV, no TV. You must have this connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DT17
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks-That’s helpful, but as I said my tv is in another room about 40 feet away from the router and box, so do you know of any other solution? 

Note:
Obviously my cable point comes in the house near the router that’s why the router and 360 box are there-but they’re a long way from the tv.

0 Kudos
LoneSpeaker
Up to speed
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Use a long HDMI cable?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Your only solution, other than long cable or expensive solution, is to get Virgin Media to install a co-ax connection point where your TV is and site the TV box there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Well-informed
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@DT17 wrote:

Thanks-That’s helpful, but as I said my tv is in another room about 40 feet away from the router and box, so do you know of any other solution? 

Note:
Obviously my cable point comes in the house near the router that’s why the router and 360 box are there-but they’re a long way from the tv.

You will need to get Virgin to run another cable, if your TV is on an outside wall they should be able to run a cable from your existing point around the outside to were you need it. As with everything there will be a charge I think it will be a £30 installation charge, they will tell you when you call.

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The charge for installing a further coax connection in a different room is £99 (no-fault call out) but VM are NOT undertaking such work at the present while the virus emergency is on. They do not wish to expose customers or their own staff to unnecessary inside contact in peoples homes.  Quite right too.  Fault resolution work  is unaffected by this. You have a working connection. For the time being its a long HDMI lead or move the TV temporarily

roy247
Well-informed
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As DT17 has only just got the 360 I wasn't sure if he could still get the installation price.

DT17
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all those who’ve replied. I appreciate it.

I thought I might need the present coax cable to be extended to where the tv is sited, so I guess I’ll have to wait if they’re not doing that work at present.

The only other thing I wondered. There was a video by Virgin saying you could link the box (V6in this case) using the Netgear wi-fi extenders through the house wires. I did this and have got internet connection on the tv as a result, but still no link with the 360 box.

I’m amazed that others haven’t got their tv in a room other than where the box and router are located. I thought this would be a common occurrence and there would be an easy solution. ‘Fraid not though by the looks of it.

Anyway, as that didn’t work I guess I’ll have to get Virgin to move the coax.

At least I can watch catch-up on the tv for the moment.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
vwillcox
Rising star
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You can lock them in a cabinet as the remotes do not have to use Infrared, but they do need to be near the TV and connected via HDMI.

However - you can get WirelessHDMI Senders and receivers - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=wireless+hdmi&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

But expensive. I've never used one, so can't comment on quality.

My Speed
350MB/s.