Menu
artuk
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2021 price increases

Quite annoying to get a price increase of 12% for broadband only. I thought my price was fixed but reading it carefully I have a 'fixed' discount for 12 months, very clever as this does not prevent a price increase, but even in contract I have until 11th Feb to get out of my contract.

Annoying to see a new customer would be paying £5 a month less!!

0 Kudos
tafrock
Up to speed
Message 12 of 60
Flag for a moderator

This is all very weird. My contract runs until 18th April. Yes I'm getting a discount of £25 off ultimate oomph but that discount runs until 18th April as I understand it..

So why have I had an email saying my bill is increasing by £4.50 on 1st march 

0 Kudos
artuk
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I also have a fixed discount for 12 months, a waste of time as a 'fixed discount' simply means you have to pay any increases virgin care to add to your account, but they are still giving you a 'discount'. So a 'fixed discount' is a marketing phrase meaning we are giving you nothing.

A new customer will be paying £4,50 a month less than me, a customer of 6 years with Virgin.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 14 of 60
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't really clarify anything, Virgin seem to be holding back information that should be available with a simple annoucement.

By doing this it would be apparent that price increases are not going to be equal across the board and people will be getting charged more than others for no fair reason.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 15 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media - You need to annouce the increase ammounts to each product/service please.

Along with this you need to clarify to customers what the difference between a fixed discount and an offer is considered and how this affects the outcome of this increase.

All this sending letters and such is unnecessary and is coming across pretty dishonest.

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 16 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Thank you for reaching out with any questions you have regarding our price rise. Those of you who have provided further information around this process are much appreciated.

As per the linked explanation shared earlier in this thread, any discount that you’ve been offered for the 12/18 months will still be honoured – so if you accepted a fixed price then you’ll receive that until the end of the discount period.  If you accepted a £ or % amount off, this will also continue to be honoured but you will see your price increase from the 1st March. We will advise you in your individual communications how the price change will affect your deal.

As an example, if you have signed up to a deal which is set at a base rate of £45 for the duration of the minimum term, you would see the price rise when your contract comes to an end. If you had a deal with a base rate of £50 and negotiated a set discount of £5 or 10% to bring this down to £45, you would see the price rise from 1st March but this £5 or 10% would still be applied to the new base rate.

The price increase isn't based on individual services but on the overall bundled package. This is the same with any bundle discounts. Customers who are subscribed to a lower tier of service would likely receive a lower increase, and those with a higher tier of service would likely notice a slightly higher increase. The reason we send individual emails/letters is to avoid any confusion and to ensure each customer has no difficulty figuring out by what amount their price will increase.

I hope that helps everyone to understand a little better. Please do let us know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks,

Rachael

JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 17 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Good Evening Rachael,

Thank you for coming on and explaining the above to us however I do still hold concerns with the way the price increase is being implemented!

A bundle gets its price from each of services and add on's included and then often gets an offer code attached when multiple services are taken together,

So what determines a price increase is how much each service or add on is increasing, so if Broadband was going up £2.00 across all packages then a broadband only customer will pay £2 extra per month unless they are on a fixed price promise (Only Gig1 on its own has that promise I beleive)

So if TV was rising by 0.50p and Phone by 0.50p and Sky Sports and Movies was rising by £1.50 then people subscribing to any of those services will expect to see the increases based on what they have.

It's nice that Virgin send direct correspondance to customers to give them firm confirmation but normally this is accompanied by a press release or a breakdown,

So simply, a simple little message on the Virgin website or Account acould just list the increases by product name.

Now I understand that customers accounts will have variety of differnt product names attached, such as Vivid350 Broadband and M350 Broadband but its not that hard to explain whats the same...

I manage 3 Virgin Media accounts, 2 of which have identical services with fixed disocunts so I'll be comparing those bills, I've also taken note of the current standard prices for the each of the services and also some bundle examples and will compare when those prices take affect,

I've been a customer personally on and off for over 10 years, but have been managing accounts constantly all of this time also and year after year, 'once twice in one year' price increases have hit the accounts and in nearly ever occurance the price increase has been more than it should of been.

Obviously currently I've got a lot of time on my hands so I'm more than happy to collect evidence and present my findings to whoever will have them.

Thanks again,

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I think it is worth noting that the current round of price increases from VM will not include any increase for Sky Sports or Sky Movies.  Those are regulated prices and often change at different times to the regular VM price increase.

Edited to post that based on a quick search it seems that Ofcom no longer regulate the wholesale price that Sky charge other providers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 19 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I will second that any reference made towards Sky Sports or Movies was for example purposes only and is not 'known' to be increasing in March.

0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 60
Flag for a moderator

960371BD-3BFB-4321-AA75-072ACBE40855.png

Dear Rachael

what your response highlights is that there are two ways to negotiate a price1) fixed price 2) and a fixed price with a discount, I dont think the virgin negotiator made this clear, I thought I would pay 46 for 18 months, but you are saying that only the discount is guaranteed for 18 months.but that the fixed price is variable!... this is extremely unclear at the time of signing, and now at a time of lockdown when switching providers is too risky, I am asked to foot a 9% increase.